You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very large panorama merge. Nope

Run in to a problem.

I currently work with various film photography formats from 645 to 10x8" and the drum scan to digitalise. Affinity Photo works quite well for my basic needs of dust removal and pretty basic dodge, burn, and soft proofing etc. When scanning 10x8" Fuji Provia, however, I need to scan in four separate operations as I hit the limit of my old scanner's capabilities. I was hoping that I could use the panorama function to reassemble these four pieces within Affinity but it keeps saying "no panorama found"

Ok, I admit that I am giving Affinity a bit of a tough job as each of the four sections was scanned at 4000 pixels per inch and resulted in a file size of around 950Mb for a total assembled image file size of, I presume, 3.8Gb

Am I asking too much and, if so, what would the file size limit be.

thanks  

Do you have enough overlap on the four images from the scanner? When I take photos for a panorama I give about 30 - 40 % overlap. I find that 20% gives hit or miss results depending on the scene.

In other words for an 8x10 (North American here) I would do 8x7 times three so I wind up with three inches of overlap for the software to work with.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Bruce. I was trying to keep the individual file sizes below 1Gb as that's all the Silverfast scanner software seems to be able to cope with. I will try again with, say, eight sections and increase the overlap. It will take me a few days to try out as the scans usually run into several hours.

Appreciate your support

Well I tried splitting the scan into six sections and surprisingly it worked allowing me to build the original 10x8 piece of film back into a single 4000ppi image of 2.5Gb image. Phew! There were, however, a couple of downsides; one that I had to go out and but an additional 8Gb of RAM to speed things up a bit, and the other was that, whilst I could export as a 2.5Gb TIFF file, I could not then re-open the file once I had closed it. For some reason Affinity said that it didn't recognise the file format (?). I could, however, save it in native Affinity format and reopen it successfully. Thanks again