You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to break text flow without following text frames being affected

Hi,

Is there any way to break the text flow through frames? If I use the red 'eye' symbol the text in folowing frames is deleten and added to the initial frame (causing it to overflow).

I would like to keep frame contents: the actual text should be split in two independent frames.

Is this what you mean?

I have three frames of text, which has continuous text 1,2,3. If I just highlight frame 2 using the 'move' tool, and press delete, the text flows from frame 1 and directly into 3. I can then make another frame where 2 was.

I'm a new user. So I apologise for my lack of proper terminology and for my lack of knowledge.

Ross 

I am not sure if this will work for you but try Frame Break or Column Break inserted where you want the break to occur.

This is available in Publisher which is what I am guessing you are using.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you have two linked frames and you want to make them independent of each other but with the same content as before, then you can cut the text from frame 2, unlink, then paste the text back into frame 2. I don't think there's a quicker way.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

27 minutes ago, h_d said:

If you have two linked frames and you want to make them independent of each other but with the same content as before, then you can cut the text from frame 2, unlink, then paste the text back into frame 2. I don't think there's a quicker way.

I think that is the only way.

The Help has more on establishing or breaking text flow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi,

Publisher indeed. Thanks for the replies:

Ross: yes but still lets the text flow as a single text. I wanted to split the text in two separate texts.

Old Bruce: a column or frame break just seemingly interrupts the text while the actual text is still flowing among frames.
A column or frame brake can easily be undone by deleting 'characters'.

h_d: that would be a possible workaround I used before but in this case it's a bit tricky: long text in a 2-column layout including images.
If text overflows a frame it easily is set to flow to a next frame. I suspected two obvious kind of opposite cases would also be covered in Publisher:
either text remains but frames are not linked anymore (resulting in first frame containing overflowing text OR frames remain but text is split (text flow undone; no visual changes).

UPDATE: cut selection and pasting it again results in only text being pasted. Inlined images need to be added manually again.

1 minute ago, Roberto1972 said:

I suspected two obvious kind of opposite cases would also be covered in Publisher:
either text remains but frames are not linked anymore (resulting in first frame containing overflowing text OR frames remain but text is split (text flow undone; no visual changes).

Only the first of those is possible without using @h_d's method, as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi walt.farrel,

The help only discusses linking and unlinking. All related options maintain text flow either within or along frames.

Nothing described gets into the actual text being separated.

Imagine you intend to write a lenghty text: each chapter as single text but flowing through multiple  frames/pages.
Then you discover accidentally two chapters are one flowing text flowing through multiple frames. How to fix this in order to get individual unlinked text for each chapter?

6 minutes ago, Roberto1972 said:

Then you discover accidentally two chapters are one flowing text flowing through multiple frames. How to fix this in order to get individual unlinked text for each chapter?

1. Don't make that mistake :)
    Keep the separate chapters in separate text frames.

But, if you did,

2. Use @h_d's method.

There doesn't seem to be anything else you can do.

Note that h_d described the case for 2 frames. If the text extended into more frames, you can find the spot where you want to break it, and select everything after that. With the text cursor in that spot, Ctrl+Shift+End (on Windows, not sure what on Mac) will select everything to the end of that set of linked frames (that is, the rest of the "story"). You Cut that (Ctrl+X on Windows), and paste into a new text frame, then Shift+Click to reflow into additional new text frames after that.

-- Walt
PC: