You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrap needed

20 minutes ago, dcrosby said:

nothing worse than putting hours into a layout in one program and realizing it can't be completed

People should use the suitable apps if layout features are needed. And we are not sure if Dave Harris / Serif will change the concept/opinion from 2014 very soon. Only the AFFINITY suite is/will be the egg-laying wool milk sow because you don’t really change the app APub if you start there with your vector or pixel or layout work.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry, but why would you need to start all over with the Affinity range? All files made in any affinity app are editable and savable in any other app in the range (across any platform)

6 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If you have APub too, you don't need to start over. It can be used to edit the AD file directly or via studio link.

I thought I was in suitable apps using Designer and Photo until I realized my layout would work better with 2 columns. I chose those apps rather than my Adobe stuff to learn the programs... which I did. 

I'm a big fan of Affinity and what they're doing. Their success is my success to a great extent. In each app I quickly find one or two processes that I can't accomplish in any Affinity app though, and I end up back in Adobe. I don't have Publisher yet. It's not a mature program yet in my opinion. My page layout program will require a number of features that Publisher doesn't have and I don't have time to futz around. Even $35 on sale is wasted income if I'm not going to use it. 

I bring this up as honest customer feedback from someone who wishes Affinity well. If using the software requires all three programs it might need to be promoted as such. In the mean time I'm humbly suggesting that a few more text features such as hyphenation and columns would round out the program.

35 minutes ago, dcrosby said:

Even $35 on sale is wasted income if I'm not going to use it. 

I bring this up as honest customer feedback from someone who wishes Affinity well. If using the software requires all three programs it might need to be promoted as such. In the mean time I'm humbly suggesting that a few more text features such as hyphenation and columns would round out the program.

But for that $35, you would have Publisher, which provides the functions you say are missing from Designer.

Even though Publisher may not yet have all the features you would require of a full desktop publishing app, in combination with Designer (via StudioLink), you could essentially have the Designer improvements you want. And so your $35 would not be wasted. You will then have hyphenation, multiple columns, text frames that can flow text between them, all in an artboard-based document if you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 hours ago, dcrosby said:

My page layout program will require a number of features that Publisher doesn't have

This is also the problem of other users, but not the problem of studio97, because he wants one single feature of APu in AD:

“Text wrap around images (png) should by a basic tool in Designer!”

But what exactly is needed? Something that has KI AI? Something that can do more than other solutions? How is “people with no so good technic” meant?

1 hour ago, Oval said:

This is also the problem of other users, but not the problem of studio97, because he wants one single feature of APu in AD:

“Text wrap around images (png) should by a basic tool in Designer!”

But what exactly is needed? Something that has KI?

KI?

In any case, that one single feature would, I think, also require automatic hyphenation support, or the wrapping would not work in a satisfactory manner. And for both text wrapping and automatic hyphenation there are additional UI updates needed to provide controls (toolbars, panels) for how the functions work. And with text wrapping the user will probably end up wanting pinning, too.

There are very few things that are so self-contained that one will really want just the one thing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1