You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrap needed

I have read some things about this problem, but no where you see a really using solution for people with no so good technic.
Text wrap around images (png) should by a basic tool in Designer! 
I got on my Designer group many questions about this. And please don't come with answers to wrap around static objects like a circle.

Thanks, 
Harry

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Or as a workaround, switch inside AD to APu, make the text wrap there and switch back. I think too, that text wrap is needed for AD - not everybody needs APu and AD seems to be capable understanding the text wrap that was applied in APu.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

But you first have to use APub to have textwrap and there's no way to edit the textwrap settings in ADes
And you could use studiolink if you happen to have APub installed.

Sorry for being not too detailed. Of course you need APu and there is no way to alter the settings in AD. But isn't it interesting / remarkable, that AD understands the text wrap APu although not having a text wrap feature? Anyway, hyphenation and text wrap should be part of AD in my opinion (yes, plus other features).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Not everone wants have publisher, so thats why designer needs this tool to.

-  64 bits. 

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But where should such a request end?
Everybody could think of a feature from a single affinity program that could be great in the other but that would defeat the purpose of single programs altogether.

Its a question thats come from users, so its to the team from serif of this will be come or not.

-  64 bits. 

3 hours ago, studio97 said:

Text wrap around images (png) should by a basic tool in Designer! 

Yes, but Serif already answered this. For example here:

The different apps need different capabilities, otherwise they'd all be the same app.

On 3. Oktober 2014 at 11:00 AM, Dave Harris said:

We consider that to be a feature for Affinity Publisher. So you'll need Publisher to create the text flow and then you will be able to open the same file and edit it in Designer if you want

Affinity Designer does have the ability to wrap text inside a shape or curve.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:15 AM, Oval said:

Yes, but Serif already answered this. For example here:

On 10/3/2014 at 7:57 AM, Dave Harris said:

The different apps need different capabilities, otherwise they'd all be the same app.

That makes sense though I'm not sure they're not all the same app with hidden capabilities already. What they're doing with Studio Link and Edit in... are unprecedented as far as I can see, so they're going to have to figure out how to keep both their users and their coffers happy.

In any case, Designer provides enough high-level typographic features that a user might expect text wrap as well. Personally I'm looking for hyphenation and multiple columns. The limitations to the type tools seem like a carrot dangled in front of you then snatched away as you try to use them.

There are enouch users who have no need or work for publisher, but use designer for everything. Then you need for one thing what has been normal a basic tool a complett piece of software for it. Thats why I wrote this question.

-  64 bits. 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Oval said:

Which? Where?

studio97 started this thread with a question/statement "Text wrap around images (png) should by a basic tool in Designer" asking how to achieve it in Designer, so here is where. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

32 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

studio97 started this thread with a question/statement "Text wrap around images (png) should by a basic tool in Designer" asking how to achieve it in Designer, so here is where. 

Thanks again, but still see no question, just statements like “got on my Designer group many questions”, “should by a basic tool in Designer!” and “designer needs this tool to[o]”.

23 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Would text snap to a vaseline grid or slide off it?

It was simply a hidden joke: b-/v-aseline

[There are so many posters with wriggling text lines, so we have to thank Serif for the “decision”, that posters should be made in APub …]

• Staff

I would not recommend making an English joke in a thread whose initial post and subsequent replies were clearly not made in a first language. Nor would I recommend asking where the question is when this is a feature request forum, where the user is saying there is a need to achieve something in this software that is currently hard to achieve. Most posts in this forum are not questions and I would suggest that you gave this user more leeway over the use of precise English.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

34 minutes ago, Oval said:

linked text boxes and vaseline grid is another feature that is needed for posters

i could probably live without linked text boxes if the columns feature was fairly robust I think. But there is nothing worse than putting hours into a layout in one program and realizing it can't be completed because that software can't go where your ideas took you. Starting all over in a different app is never pleasant.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, dcrosby said:

Starting all over in a different app is never pleasant.

Sorry, but why would you need to start all over with the Affinity range? All files made in any affinity app are editable and savable in any other app in the range (across any platform)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

6 minutes ago, dcrosby said:

i could probably live without linked text boxes if the columns feature was fairly robust I think. But there is nothing worse than putting hours into a layout in one program and realizing it can't be completed because that software can't go where your ideas took you. Starting all over in a different app is never pleasant.

If you have APub too, you don't need to start over. It can be used to edit the AD file directly or via studio link.