You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Minor issue with automatic font change in changing character style

Desmild

This is one of those cases where you are uncertain if there is a problem or if it's you who does not understand.
But i have tried and i think it's a bug, or maybe a unwise decision from your side. 

So i have made several character styles that colours & changes font styles.
My yellow character stye is configured to only change font to Minion Pro & yellow color.
My gray character style is configured to only change to gray color & no font change. 
- The problem here is if i change the character style from yellow to gray the font becomes Arial. 

This occures no matter what color you pick in this regard; and this happends in Designer also.
I could just pick Minion Pro on gray to solve this problem but let's say you are working with several character styles (which i do). Then this becomes unproductive.
Instead of making it automatically go to Arial font; let it not change the font. 
i use the 17.3.481 version

I Attached a video Clip & you can end it at 3.20, since i tried to do this in Photo also but i realized that there were no character styles there.
Love your programs and keep the good work up. 

Video: ice_video_20191202-033901.mkv

File: Character style font bug.afpub

A character style should not change the font unless it is stated in the style. Best would be to post the .afpub file here.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

File with examples of the problem is shared. 
And you might want to stop the automatic color change to black if you change a character style to another character style which does not have a specified colour in it's settings. The colour should not be changed in this case. 

This is indeed strange. I can't find the fault. Never had this problem before or I can't see right now what is different in your document.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Well that does not make sense. Because "ignorer" is just "ignore" in Norwegian. And i misread and though you stated "ignore" there:P tricks of the brain. 
It was one of my errors from when learning the differences between styles in paragraphs and characters last week. 
The "ignorer" is just a paragraph style with blue color. 

This problem still persist if the paragraph text is set to no style. 
"no style" does not mean Arial. But i will come back to this after the patch and reinstall of Windows since you said you can't reproduce this bug. 

I mean this could be just how they configured this to function. It's really not that big deal since i can work araound it. 

When I make my Paragraph and Character I work from basic to more advanced. Means I have a Paragraph style which just basic settings like font type, size and colour. From that - with based on - I make the more advanced styles. Finally I define the Character styles for those cases I can't use the Paragraph styles.

So when I import text, first thing is: Select all -> Assign basic Paragraph style. This is the reason why I was clueless in your case, because I never thought of a different workflow.

------

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon