You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I made a book, 250 pages, a pic each 2. page, from 30x30 cm smaller to 20x20 cm. After the first small PDF became more than 800 MB – the 30x30 PDF has 550 MB – all 120 pics were made smaller (from 3.000 px long side to 2.200) and new included. But the PDF 300 dpi has 660 MB now. To save the big PDF runs normal, the small one takes many many time.

All pics in the big version have together 550 MB, the afpub file 13,6 MB; all smaller pics have 300 MB, the file 11,4. What happens here? How to save this project, please? Thx. lars

EDIT: I made the masterpage smaller

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

Sounds the PDF contains more data than wanted. That might happen eg. when the .afpub document is set to 16-bit color space; then on PDF export the images appear not to become compressed.

But that doesn't explain your PDF size increase when your document size became reduced. Could you export 1-2 pages and upload the PDF for a closer look inside?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi, the JPG are smaller (2.200 px long side) as in the big version. They come from C1 with 8 bit. No parameter is changed to the big book which runs fine; I made around 15 this year in 120 pages/ 60 pics. Now it has 250 p./ 115 pics.

I included the pics, sfpub 350 MB, put the afpub to another folder, set pics to added and deleted the pics. Afpub has 11 MB, makes a PDF. The pics back (what works), PDF 662 MB as before.

Thanks for help, thomaso.

©LarsHennings.de-ABuch-19-kl3-7.pdf

©LarsHennings.de-ABuch-19-kl3.afpub

1 hour ago, larsh said:

Would like to know about the bug.

As mentioned before the bug is the 16-bit document color space. Or, so to say, the bug sits in front of your computer ;)
In your test PDF are 2 images in 16-bit, one of them is the barcode (no halftones!), the other occurs as overexposed. In my opinion it doesn't make sense to setup such a book in APub as 16-bit at all.

872869618_larsh16-bitbigfile2.jpg.4bdaeed964c0abb3fd7ab26d4d7336ba.jpg

988201079_larsh16-bitbigfile1.jpg.92b1139419e758d814070a9d55443845.jpg

Hi, thanks. I never changed parameters, and all JPG make C1 in 8 bit. But you are right, changing this in: Colour makes a fine PDF. Nice day!

32 minutes ago, larsh said:

JPG make C1 in 8 bit.

The colorspace of the linked images is not necessarily the point – the APub document color space also rules. That possibly made even the b&w barcode appear as 16-bit in your PDF.

There still might be an issue in APub when exporting from a 16 bit .afpub to an 8 bit PDF – whereas I wonder how 1 of 3 images got exported in 8 bit only in this PDF.

I can't test the exported image color spaces with your .afpub since its missing linked images don't appear in an exported PDF, even not in low preview resolution. To investigate an issue with 16 bit you could test various export settings, then make sure in "More" options not to export with the 16 bit documents color space.

Hi, I don´t understand all I think. All pics and the barcode are used in the next afpub. But I now know to have a look to the color field. In the old Afpub (660 MB PDF) I only set this field from JPG/16 (wherever it may come from) to CMYC/8, then it runs. Some secrets must be in the world. Best, lars

What "color field" are you talking about?

Where did you set "JPG/16" to "CMYK/8"? – JPG is a file format, whereas CMYK is a color space format – this your setup change sounds confusing.

Can you show screenshots? Und vielleicht auf Deutsch schreiben?

Hi, after you wrote, some JPG and the barcode had 16 bit, I was searching. The barcode and the JPG I found have 8 bit. In Afpub I found – as you showed in your screenshot – in document setting/ Dokumenteneinstellung the field: colour with CMYC/16 or RGB/16. In this moment to test the big PDF file I changed it to somewhat with /8. It works a moment, then the PDF could be made with 175 MB.

I never looked to that. My camera makes Adobe RGB (98), what was used in my scanner jears ago and is it my C1... And all prints the last time were ok (blurb.de > books; bod.de > books, fotoexact > foto prints/ poster). The printers handle it today well (or good enough for me, my eyes). 

It is not that I want to say: not me is the stupid before the monitor. May be it happened while I changed from 30x30 cm to the 21x21 cm. I don´t know. Shall I look to old Afpub?

EDIT: Ja, there are more with RGB/16, but smaller books. Startimg a new book I copied the old one – all the same 30x30 cm. But they only include half of pages, so it made no problem; one has CMYC/16. lars

larsh, ich halte es für extrem unwahrscheinlich, dass deine Größenänderung von 30 auf 21 cm den Dokumentfarbraum beeinflusst oder sogar von 8 auf 16 bit verändert hat. Womöglich aber hat die Übernahme einer früheren 16-bit Datei dazu geführt, dass du jetzt an einer 16-bit Datei gearbeitet hattest. Grundsätzlich empfehle ich dir, ein AfPub Dukument nicht auf 16 bit zu stellen – beim reinen Platzieren von Bildern profitierst du in keiner Weise von 16 bit in einem solchen Buch-Dokument.

16 bit können unter Umständen bei grenzwertigen Problemstellen in der Bildbarbeitung helfen, z.B. um ein unter- oder überbelichtetes Bild zu verbessern. Für die 4c-Druckausgabe (CMYK Farben) sind 16 bit aber kein Vorteil, weil der 4c-Druckprozess einen reduzierten Farbumfang hat.

Nett, dass Du Dich so intensiv kümmerst. Im EDIT schrieb ich bereits, dass es ein dauerndes Kopieren war, die die 16 bit rekonstruierte. Nur wusste ich davon nichts, und da die Bücher sich drucken liessen... Selbst ich weiss, 16 bit machen keinen Sinn; aus 8 bit Vorgaben schon gar nicht. Wo die 16 bit mal herkamen?

@mac_heibu Jedenfalls war es jetzt kein Bug.

@richard786 Have a look to the screenshot above from thomaso; it is the setting of document/ color

Gruss lars