You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As we now have 3 brilliant programmes. Is it possible to think that the forums could be split. Designer, Photo and Publisher? 

I know that nearly all of the controls are duplicated in each programme, and I will be told that all are used in most of the programmes. But most people search for a particular programme heading more than a control. It is already becoming convoluted in the forum search for a particular item. I'm a user of Publisher, so to have to search each posting is a time consumer.

Forum posts are already becoming defined to a particular programme. 

Any thoughts

Thoughts yes, Serif action I don’t think so.  This topic appears almost weekly.  It seems to me, the advance, long term, multiple program users demand no change.  Those that own one program, hoping for a simple search, forum identified by program, are out numbered.  One can agree much can be gain from reading/scanning each post as there are similar components, within each program.

However, this takes a lot of time, frustration, excessive scanning post, for one particular program.  It’s not unreasonable, for many, in their thought process, that you should be required to scan 50 or more post to find zero interest.  This continues to receive, IMHO, a blind eye, to those whom repeatedly request forum Program separation.  Although I play the game, Google search may be a faster approach for a particular answer to your question.  Actually it may just improve your search action back to the this forum with your appropriate topic identified.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

I think it is very frustrating for us all, but if it is split you are likely to miss something that someone has posted in a forum that is also applicable to another product.

You would also have the problem of getting everyone to post in the correct forum, is it windows, mac os or ipad or affects all?

Just clicking on the search box gives quite a number of refine options and flexibility on how you search specific phrases.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

16 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I think it is very frustrating for us all, but if it is split you are likely to miss something that someone has posted in a forum that is also applicable to another product.

You would also have the problem of getting everyone to post in the correct forum, is it windows, mac os or ipad or affects all?

Just clicking on the search box gives quite a number of refine options and flexibility on how you search specific phrases.

This may be true for the experience user, the user that has all three programs, and has a interest in building their insight to a greater level of productivity.  May I suggest that many users, especially new users, may just be concerned with one program and find the forum and search function, extremely frustrating to their level of expertise.  Not all users are pros, nor want to become pros.  I would love to see a breakout of users that buy Affinity products, by program.  How many own multiple programs and which is the top program purchased. This may provide a insight to suggest a detail input to this topic.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

I am far from an experienced user, just someone who moved up from Page Plus X9 which was bought for a charity where I am Chair of Trustees. I am in my early 70's and although I served my time as a jobbing printer I had not done that line of work for over 40 years. PPX9 had built in options for photo editing and other work, which were very useful. The low cost of the products enticed me to buy all three programs and although my main use is publisher the studio link enables me to switch back and forth to get the results I desire. Any work I do is free of charge to community groups and charities. Browsing the forums has given me a good insight in to techniques that not only improve my work flow, but have benefited others 

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

28 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I am far from an experienced user, just someone who moved up from Page Plus X9 which was bought for a charity where I am Chair of Trustees. I am in my early 70's and although I served my time as a jobbing printer I had not done that line of work for over 40 years. PPX9 had built in options for photo editing and other work, which were very useful. The low cost of the products enticed me to buy all three programs and although my main use is publisher the studio link enables me to switch back and forth to get the results I desire. Any work I do is free of charge to community groups and charities. Browsing the forums has given me a good insight in to techniques that not only improve my work flow, but have benefited others 

As my post implies, that is a good thing for many users, happy you find insight in Affinity products.  I never had a doubt that this is in fact, great resource for many.  However, the repeated threads or post, suggest many are confused by the forum combination of all programs.  I believe that a reasonable solution can be achieved to decrease the frustration of many users.  I am also a member of the 70’s group, retired and accept the current format, although my interest is AP.

Cecil 

6 hours ago, Rossjackson01 said:

Any thoughts

Just use Tags.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 hours ago, Rossjackson01 said:

Is it possible to think that the forums could be split. Designer, Photo and Publisher? 

Since you are writing to the Feature Requests/Feedback forum, I assume, that your proposal is about the Feature Requests/Feedback forum. However, this forum has always been divided into individual applications.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Cecil, Alan Pickup.

Thank you for your comments. Given in plain English, for and against. Like you, 70+. 

Psenda. No idea as to what your are talking about. Perhaps a good reason for the original post. As I am obviously in the wrong forum, where should I have put this post? 

(My apologies for the incorrect name, but I don't have the knowledge how to get the syntax).

28 minutes ago, Rossjackson01 said:

Cecil, Alan Pickup.

Thank you for your comments. Given in plain English, for and against. Like you, 70+. 

Psenda. No idea as to what your are talking about. Perhaps a good reason for the original post. As I am obviously in the wrong forum, where should I have put this post? 

(My apologies for the incorrect name, but I don't have the knowledge how to get the syntax).

19017E23-C046-4D91-BC3D-E83BFAC3407D.thumb.jpeg.27ef108da36930705d3488eded0896cc.jpegAs I read the Feature Requests & Suggestions, this forum primary focus, yes some will present different view, is for feedback on specific Affinity programs, not a generalize, but appropriate comment, you wrote on the Forums structure. It may fall in the category a ”Will make Affinity even better”; however @Rossjackson01, I read you post as a Forum update, not feedback to improve a specific software product or suggestion to do so.

To cut to the case, this subject has been debated, loved, hated, rejected, and unchanged over hundreds, if not more post.  Please do feel rejected in any way, many have voice the same question.  My post was just to inform you of the past post and some of the positions pointed out previously.  My suggestion is just try to ignore post that do not meet you specific needs. Enjoy you day.

Cecil 

5 hours ago, Rossjackson01 said:

As I am obviously in the wrong forum, where should I have put this post? 

The forum is correct - if your post should have been a requirement, not only question. However, if this request should concern the forum "questions" (I only guess, in the post it is not clearly defined), so it should be explicitly stated.

12 hours ago, Rossjackson01 said:

that the forums could be split. Designer, Photo and Publisher? 

As mentioned repeatedly, the division into individual applications brings many problems - many identical/common features, either existing or required. Therefore, I think it would be better to divide the forum rather by type of tasks/topics.

Yes it is easy to locate a post to support any position on this subject, positive or negative. 

My personal preference would be to add a mandatory entry, above Title, before anyone could start a new Topic.  At this time, the option would provide list: All or one of the three specific Affinity program.  This would populate the subject line, followed by question, allowing easy identification of specific program or identify post applies to all.  If nothing else, it would allow any user to scroll, at a faster rate, if looking for specific programs and read all if desired.  I see this taking nothing away from those insisting read all/learn all or else, we know what is best for you.  I am not hung up on how Serif would implement, any changes to enhance or similar solution.

I do request replies, if any, be address by official Serif staff members, who in turn could request feedback.  My life is too short for people telling me and others what is best for me to read.

Cecil 

21 hours ago, Tremble said:

Why separate the forums and produce a huge number of complex technologies that will be more difficult to maintain in reality, if it is easier to simply reorganize one forum, divide it into several sections and everything will work adequately?

Please submit your suggestion on how to reorganize and divide the forums, especially one that has not been previously suggested.  The topic seems to be posted faster then my electric bill.  Seriously consider the need of the new users, one that may not exhibit your technical knowledge and Serif not seeing the necessity to to rebuild “totally” their forum. The division of the forum by programs and OS, discussed.  Many oppose any deviation. Saying that, simplify users interface, within forum.

Cecil