You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

freeze when font selection

• Staff
On 9/7/2020 at 2:18 PM, ssystem said:

font1.png.ec4e365c22dcafe22f4326a4e06bab42.png

In my case, Segoe MDL2 Assets, HoloLens MDL2 Assets fonts were the cause of the problem.

After forcibly deleting these fonts from Windows for testing, freezing no longer occurred.

Thanks for replying and updating us on your issue. As stated above, the Segoe font is a default font so we would have a lot of users reporting this issue if it was directly related to that font(s). I have those fonts installed and the app is working fine and font preview is also fine:

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 06.45.25.png

I have two versions of the font installed - one in C:\Windows\Fonts and the other in APPDATA\Windows\Fonts. If you open Fonts in Settings can you find out where your fonts are installed to and which version you have? Is you Windows OS using the default font or have you changed the default font? I think you stated in the past that you're using the Korean language pack within Windows 10, is this still correct?

3 hours ago, Leigh said:

Thanks for replying and updating us on your issue. As stated above, the Segoe font is a default font so we would have a lot of users reporting this issue if it was directly related to that font(s). I have those fonts installed and the app is working fine and font preview is also fine:

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 06.45.25.png

I have two versions of the font installed - one in C:\Windows\Fonts and the other in APPDATA\Windows\Fonts. If you open Fonts in Settings can you find out where your fonts are installed to and which version you have? Is you Windows OS using the default font or have you changed the default font? I think you stated in the past that you're using the Korean language pack within Windows 10, is this still correct?

segoe.png.76f557db5950518c9b0cbdc87fe06443.png

The font files are the same version. If you clean install Windows, the font is in c:\windows\font, but if you forcefully delete the font for testing and reinstall it, the same font will be installed in %LOCALAPPDATA%/microsoft/windows/fonts. Of course, in my case, the freezing bug appeared in both cases regardless of the path.

And in the past, I still use the Korean version of Windows 10.

(O) It was installed in Korean from the time of installation.

(X) English version install + change to korean language pack 

And I simply don't think segoe fonts cause all the problems. If so, the bug would have occurred to everyone the same and it would have been very easy to fix.

What I pointed out is that the affinity products family is unable to preview certain (random) fonts on East Asian windows, causing freezing.

It could be segmdl2.ttf, or HOLOMDL2.ttf or something. To some people, both fonts look normal, but to another, font may be the problem. I don't know why.

The obvious thing I've found so far is that if remove fonts that cannot be previewed on machine, or turn off the preview by disable font cache option, no freezing occurs.

-----------

display.png.c06da8ad810624851677f6591f348500.png

And I found a new one. If I change the default display language of Windows in the system settings to English, the fonts are previewed normally and affinity is not frozen.

However, if I change the system language to Korean and test again, the same problem occurs. Certainly, the language and affinity of the Windows system seem to conflict.

-----------

In addition, I attach a font that causes problems in my system.

These fonts are not previewed in the Korean system and cause freezing.

But In the English setting window, the preview is broken with strange characters, but freezing does not occur.

taefont.zip

• Staff

Thanks for replying and confirming. I've just setup a VM machine with Windows 10 using the Korean Language Pack and i've been unable to replicate the issue. I also don't have any additional fonts installed, just the default fonts for Windows 10.

For some reason the .zip file in your last post appears corrupted when I try to open it?!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/afwjgjg2h5v5khz/taefont.zip/file

I uploaded on mediafire. check this link. (When uncompressed, there are 3 font files.)

What a strange bug. I also couldn't reproduce it when I tested it on vmware.

But certainly bugs happen on my local pc and it's always easy to reproduce.

Currently, I can reproduce the freezing bug with 100% probability in less than a minute after starting Affinity.

(freezing can be made easier by continuously scrolling from top to bottom repeatedly.)

And using my temporary solution, other Korean users are also using Affinity Photo to avoid bugs.

You are also frustrated, but I am also very frustrated.

It has been more than a year since I bought the program myself, and I have tested countless times, and the problem continues, and many other Korean users complain of the same symptoms.

Whenever an affinity photo discount event is posted on the Korean Hot Deal Forum, Korean Affinity users comment that there is a font-related freezing bug, so be careful about purchasing it.

• Staff

Sorry for not replying sooner @ssystem - I've been trying to replicate this issue on a physical Windows 10 machine as I couldn't replicate it using a virtual machine. The good news is that i've been able to replicate it. If I have Windows set to English I can scroll through the list quickly without any issues. If I set Windows 10 to Korean and quickly scroll up and down through the fonts list a few times the app will grind to a halt and start lagging with operations. However, if I run the app with the "--disable-font-preview-cache" flag on Windows 10 set to Korean the issue doesn't happen.

I've managed to record this happening for me too, so I will pass this information to our developers. Hopefully they can figure out what's happening 👍

@Leigh, That's good news. Congratulations to replicate bug!(?) Now, reproduction step is out, I think developers can easily debug.

I hope this bug is fixed as soon as possible. It was a really old bug because it started reporting after 2016!

I was really passionately testing myself, use my time a lot like an open source contributor.

Because I really enthusiastically want a alternative for Adobe.

• Staff

@ssystem I have some even better news :) One of our developers has been able to find the root of the issue and has fixed it! The fix should be available in one of the upcoming beta builds - keep an eye on the fix list when we release new beta builds to see if the fix has been included.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/34-photo-beta-on-windows/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/58-publisher-beta-on-windows/

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 10/29/2020 at 8:40 AM, AlvaroGar said:

I have version 1.8.5.703 of Affinity designer and today the font selection keeps freezing :(.

Does this happen to anyone else?.

When can they fix this?, thanks.

Best regards

Can you try the 1.9 beta to see if you get the same issue? 

7 hours ago, Leigh said:

Can you try the 1.9 beta to see if you get the same issue? 

Thanks for the suggestion 😀. I have been testing the beta version (1.9.0.820) that you cite and I have noticed quite quickly compared to the version I have (1.8.5.703), however it keeps slowing down even reaching freezing 😥.

Perhaps it influences that they are mostly otf files instead of ttf files?.

Best regards

• Staff
On 10/30/2020 at 4:47 PM, AlvaroGar said:

Thanks for the suggestion 😀. I have been testing the beta version (1.9.0.820) that you cite and I have noticed quite quickly compared to the version I have (1.8.5.703), however it keeps slowing down even reaching freezing 😥.

Perhaps it influences that they are mostly otf files instead of ttf files?.

Best regards

Thanks for replying. Is it possible to provide a video of this happening? This will allow us to look into this further for you.

• Staff
On 11/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, AlvaroGar said:

No, only normal windows installation. I select the font, right button, install

So that we can look into this further, is it possible to send me a copy of all the fonts in both one in C:\Windows\Fonts and the other in %APPDATA%\Windows\Fonts using the Dropbox link below?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/pdx6PjB4GhGz552zdNrO

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

So that we can look into this further, is it possible to send me a copy of all the fonts in both one in C:\Windows\Fonts and the other in %APPDATA%\Windows\Fonts using the Dropbox link below?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/pdx6PjB4GhGz552zdNrO

No, I can't send you because that would somehow distribute some fonts and for legal or licensing reasons I can't, I'm sorry.

I imagine that this option that you propose is to discard or establish a line of investigation, but I begin to deduce that the problem is mine, has someone else happens to him? :(

• Staff
On 11/6/2020 at 12:51 PM, AlvaroGar said:

No, I can't send you because that would somehow distribute some fonts and for legal or licensing reasons I can't, I'm sorry.

I imagine that this option that you propose is to discard or establish a line of investigation, but I begin to deduce that the problem is mine, has someone else happens to him? :(

Ok, that's fine but we would delete the fonts after with have investigated the issue. Alternatively, you could try temporarily unloading fonts to see if you can narrow it down to a particular one?

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

Ok, that's fine but we would delete the fonts after with have investigated the issue. Alternatively, you could try temporarily unloading fonts to see if you can narrow it down to a particular one?

Thanks for the time and interest, but I'm sorry, I can't give you the fonts. The license is the license, sorry.
Yes, I have considerably reduced my number of fonts, more than 70% of what I had and yes, it goes like 4 times faster loading the fonts, but because other programs such as Word or Powerpoint, with all the fonts that I had installed I do not have any loading problems and I can use anyone instantly? :(

Best regards

• Staff

Unfortunately, i've not been able to replicate the issue and the only we can investigate this issue further would be for you to give us a list of fonts that you've temporarily removed that you think are causing the issue. Until we can replicate the issue there's not much else we can do.

First of all, thanks again for the interest.
Excuse me for correcting you, but I don't think the problem are my fonts, because as I said, in other programs like Word or Powerpoint I have no problem using them instantly.
I have to clarify, because I have not said so far, that I can use them, but it requires a charging period (so to speak), of about 15-20 minutes. After that time, I can use all the fonts without any problem in Affinity Designer.

• Staff
On 11/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, AlvaroGar said:

First of all, thanks again for the interest.
Excuse me for correcting you, but I don't think the problem are my fonts, because as I said, in other programs like Word or Powerpoint I have no problem using them instantly.

No worries. Just because the fonts are working in other apps doesn't mean there isn't something about a particular font that's causing our app to not work correctly with it. Without having the font(s) to replicate the issue, it's going to be hard for our developers to look into this further. 

On 11/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, AlvaroGar said:

I have to clarify, because I have not said so far, that I can use them, but it requires a charging period (so to speak), of about 15-20 minutes. After that time, I can use all the fonts without any problem in Affinity Designer.

Is it possible to provide more information about the "Charging Period" you mention? I look forward to hearing from you again :)

On 11/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, AlvaroGar said:

I have considerably reduced my number of fonts, more than 70% of what I had

How many fonts did you have installed before you reduced the number, and how many are left now? If you have several thousand fonts, I strongly recommend that you use a font manager so that only a few hundred are permanently installed, with others being loaded temporarily as required.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)