You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

general svg export problem

tooloud

I'm new to Designer app, but one thing is I cannot do at all to be working and this is extremely important to me:

- export to svg to be imported to 3d program - to make it simple TinkerCAD. Previously I was using for this Adobe Illustrator CS6 and it was just working.

I cannot export anything to be possible to import into TinkerCAD.

It appears that AD is exporting the width and height values as "100%" rather than as actual dimensions and for some reason TinkerCAD doesn't like it. For example, a simple 100 mm (377.952756 px) diameter circle created in Designer and exported as an SVG generates the following XML.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg
     width="100%"
     height="100%"

viewBox="0 0 378 378"
     version="1.1"
     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
     xml:space="preserve"
     xmlns:serif="http://www.serif.com/" style="fill-rule:evenodd;clip-rule:evenodd;stroke-linejoin:round;stroke-miterlimit:2;">
    <g
       transform="matrix(0.775901,0,0,0.775901,-92.4464,-104.809)">
        <circle
                cx="362.705"
                cy="378.638"
                r="243.557"
                style="fill:rgb(255,129,0);" />
    </g>
</svg>

Edit the width and height values to actual values:

width="377.952756"
height="377.952756"

resave the SVG and TinkerCad imports the file. As far as I can tell there isn't any way to change this setting when exporting the SVG.

A quick solution is to 'convert' your AD exported SVG file using an online conversion tool, once converted, the width and height values are changed to actual rather than percentage values and your file will again import into TinkerCAD.

I assume this is an issue with TinkerCAD rather than AD since AD exported SVGs do happily import into other CAD and laser cutting programs, though there do appear to be a number of known issues with SVG exports from Designer which the dev team are aware of and which have been reported as possible bugs.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Apologies for the dual posts, there seems to be a forum issue and I'm currently not able to edit or delete posts and the quote boxes have extraneous space added above them for no obvious reason!

Both my previous posts are 'locked' (no idea why), but this is the link to the online conversion tool if you want to give it a go.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

• Staff
21 hours ago, Hangman said:

Apologies for the dual posts, there seems to be a forum issue and I'm currently not able to edit or delete posts and the quote boxes have extraneous space added above them for no obvious reason!

Both my previous posts are 'locked' (no idea why), but this is the link to the online conversion tool if you want to give it a go.

There was some weird HTML in your post that was causing an unclickable region over the edit button of your post. I've hidden one and fixed the other post, so it should be ok now!  

To go back to the original issue there is an improvement with development to allow the control of the units on export rather than just percentage to help compatibility with many CAD and laser cutting software.

Thanks Sean,

Very weird, I simply copied and pasted some HTML code into a quote box which appeared correctly prior to posting. I inadvertently hit Ctrl-Enter on the first post and it completely locked the post so I reposted and then as soon as the second one was posted that automatically locked as well and added the extraneous blank space above the quote box.

Many thanks for fixing and deleting as appropriate. Hopefully, the improvement will rectify a lot of the SVG issues people appear to be having with various different CAD and laser cutting software.