You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jeffrey, there is no way to force it to snap only to the grid.  But if you can set up your drawing so that the grid is 1 pixel in size then you can force snapping to whole pixels.  Then when finished laying it out change the resolution to what you need.  For example if you need a drawing that has a final size of  200mm by 500mm then make it 200px by 500px (if your grid size is 1mm) .  Then when finished set the document setup to rescale and make it 200mm by 500mm.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

43 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

there is no way to force it to snap only to the grid.

If one enables Snap to Grid in the Snapping options, and turns off the other options there, it should snap only to the grid. And that seems to work, for me, even with Shift pressed.

If one has any of the other Snapping options set, though, it could snap to various other places.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If one enables Snap to Grid in the Snapping options, and turns off the other options there, it should snap only to the grid. And that seems to work, for me, even with Shift pressed.

Walt, on mine when I'm zoomed in I have to be close to the grid line to have the cursor only snap to the grid.  If I am using the Automatic (default) grid there are 16 points in each grid square it will snap to.  Using a basic grid it will allow me to put a point most anywhere unless I'm close to a grid line then it pulls it to the line but not necessarily the corner.   Okay I set the Screen tolerance to 100 and now it snaps only to the grid if the grid squares are about 1" or less on the screen.  But now I have to remember to set it back!  FYI if the grid has about 0.1" or less size on the screen then it does work with a screen tolerance of the default 8.  Never dug into it that much before.  Phew.

21 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Walt, on mine when I'm zoomed in I have to be close to the grid line to have the cursor only snap to the grid.  If I am using the Automatic (default) grid there are 16 points in each grid square it will snap to.  Using a basic grid it will allow me to put a point most anywhere unless I'm close to a grid line then it pulls it to the line but not necessarily the corner.   Okay I set the Screen tolerance to 100 and now it snaps only to the grid if the grid squares are about 1" or less on the screen.  But now I have to remember to set it back!  FYI if the grid has about 0.1" or less size on the screen then it does work with a screen tolerance of the default 8.  Never dug into it that much before.  Phew.

Interesting. I hadn't tried it zoomed in, but I see that in that case it will also snap to the 1/2-grid positions in any direction. I'm not sure why it behaves that way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I hadn't tried it zoomed in, but I see that in that case it will also snap to the 1/2-grid positions in any direction. I'm not sure why it behaves that way.

It'll even snap to 1/4 grid if you zoom even closer.  It's overridden by the Screen Tolerance, but what causes 1/2 and 1/4 to be selected in this case I haven't figure out.