You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Special Characters cannot be disabled, if enabled in opened Publisher document

A_B_C

Hi,

there has been some discussion whether it should be considered a bug that Designer doesn’t allow to disable special characters in documents that were saved with special characters enabled in Publisher.

I have the strong suspicion that this must be an oversight. At least, I would think that this is very different from, say, the fact that we don’t have text on a path available in Affinity Photo, as it belongs to the very basic text editing functions. To me, it’s a bug. So would you please consider

• either to disable special characters by default in Designer, such that they won’t show up when Publisher documents are opened, regardless of the way they were saved,
  • or add the menu entry Show special characters to Designer.

Thank you for having a look. :)

Alex

Since special characters never appear in printed output or exports, for me not being able to hide them in AD (or AP) is at most a minor annoyance, but of the two suggested fixes, the second one seems like the best choice.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7