You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD crashes on save

Cjohnson6

Windows 10

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481

Over the last few days I have had a problem with AD. I have a ~38MB file which I made on AD on my PC. I tried to open the document on my Mac. It loaded but then came up with the Error "failed to load Document:....." See attached

So I went back to my PC to work on the project. Now on my PC 2 out of three times opening this file it gives the same error. But it will load 1 out of 3 attempts.  I am thinking something is wrong with the file so I will spend a couple days to recreate it. I make a new file and set up my artboards and save the file. Now I add some objects and hit save. AD just closes. No errors it just closes. I have tried many times with new files." Save as" always closes the program without saving.

I tried uninstalling AD. Downloaded thelatest version again from the Serif site and reinstalled after a restart. Same thing occurs. I am not sure what to do as the program seems unusable now and I need to get this project completed.

Any ideas??

System info.PNG

Error Affinity.PNG

• Staff

Hi Cjohnson6,

Would you be able to attach a copy of both files (The one that occasionally fails to open, and the one that crashes on save) to our internal dropbox using the link below please? In addition to that where has the file been stored and saved on? Have you been using any form of cloud storage, if so which kind?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/FgFTLtFzTXhJMuT5RW4r

Thanks!

I have uploaded the file as requested. I had taken time to rebuild the file and the new file is OK but since you were having a sale I went ahead and bought Affinity Publisher which seems to be a better program for what I am trying to do. Actually, it has a lot of features that really help in this project so I am quite happy to have purchased it.

I really enjoy using the Affinity products. They provide a huge amount of value at a really nice price.

Carl

• Staff

I would be interested to see what results you get if you were to copy it over locally before opening. We do stream the file to Temp when opening, so I wonder if its struggling to read the file quick enough of your external drive (or if you have enough local space).

16 hours ago, Sean P said:

I would be interested to see what results you get if you were to copy it over locally before opening. We do stream the file to Temp when opening, so I wonder if its struggling to read the file quick enough of your external drive (or if you have enough local space).

So I went back to that file and opened it on my Mac several times with no problems. Odd. I was getting the same errors on two different computers, a Mac and a PC. But now it seems fine. I had even done system restarts and had done a reinstall on my PC of Affinity designer with the same results.

But now all seems OK.

Carl