You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean error after successive operations

wusal

Hello,

Trying to repeat one of the tutorials of the Affinity Designer youtube channel, I followed these steps:

- Draw a vertical ellipse, move the transformation origin to the bottom, CTRL+J to duplicate, rotate 90°, CTRL+J twice and finally, select all 4 shapes and click on Add icon => I got a global shape (OK)

- Draw small circle, move it to the center of my previous shape, select both, click on Subtract => everything disappear (KO)

I tried to convert the circle into curves before subtracting, but I got the same result. Actually, with any of the boolean operations, everything disappear

I think this is a bug, but because I'm just starting to use the application, maybe I missed something (I attach the file with the 2 curves)

Tuto.afdesign

flower_tutorial.png

16 hours ago, wusal said:

I think this is a bug, but because I'm just starting to use the application, maybe I missed something ...

I have the feeling that the method has an influence. If I create the object manually (without power duplicate: Ctrl+J), it works for me.

What is this strange node in the middle (see screenshot)? When I try to move it, AD crashes.

image.png.16911fde49d65ab4b27eff1bb1d8e578.png

Using the Divide command made the curves disappear too ... but thanks to your suggestion, I saw that the Separate curves was also available in the Geometry menu, and I tried it: and boom, it separated my curves into itself (from a pure visual result point of view) + a blank curve (see my screenshot) so I think this "hidden" blank curve was the reason why everything disappered.

Indeed, trying now to mix my curves without the blank one, every boolean operations works perfectly

Do you think the blank curve was created by a bug, or is there something to be aware of to avoid it ?

blank_curve.png

I tried different alternate operations before merging my first shape (4 merged ellipses):

- create 4 different ellipses and move them get the flower shape

- create 1 ellipse, copy it by CTRL + Drag, rotate 90° 2 of them, then move them get the flower shape

Each time, the next boolean operations worked perfectly. So in my opinion, like Michail pointed out, it seems the CTRL+J command is the root cause.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm very pleased to see that we can have fast answers here thanks to the people who share their knowledge and the easy way to use it.

• Staff

Hi Wusal,

Thanks for the recipe - I've reproduced it. As Michail has said it also crashes for me when trying to move it - on a newly created document as well. With that said I've just tried it in 1.8 and it does seem to be fixed - both the crash and the boolean issue!