You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Both Affinity Photo and Designer are "Not responding" on macOS Catalina after user transfer

After upgrading my Macbook and transferring all my files to the new computer via a Time Machine backup. Both Affinity Designer and Photo both come up with a “not responding” message. 

The splash screen appears then both programs just hang. No other programs including Adobe Photoshop or illustrator are behaving the same. They all open as expected. 

I have tried a few ideas suggested online like clearing the mac cache and finding preference files but nothing has worked. 

I am using a new 16” Macbook Pro running Catalina if this helps. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Staff

Hi David Shepherd,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'd like to try resetting your apps back to their default settings, you can do this by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app should now open.

Please do let me know if this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

36 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi David Shepherd,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'd like to try resetting your apps back to their default settings, you can do this by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app should now open.

Please do let me know if this helps!

Hi Dan C, 

I have tried this a couple of times and it hasn't helped. 

After clearing the user data at least the application opens but when I try to interact with any menu the mac spinner appears and it is in the "Not responding" state again. 

Any suggestions? 

I have tried reinstalling and numerous other things I have read online.

Thanks

Edited by David Shepherd

David, I use an iMac 27" OS 1015.1, I have Designer and Publisher 1.7.3... and I've had a problem for awhile now since I upgraded to 10.15.1.

They won't open, then I have to Force Quit.

If I open my iMac in Safe Mode, (holding the shift key down when opening until I see the login) Open my iMac, then go to Publisher/Designer, they'll open.

I then restart my iMac open the app's and they load.... BUT somewhere in this sys' they finish up not opening up again. I do the Safe boot and they do. 

I know this isn't fixing your problem (or it might) but its a Start, you never know. 

I think its in the OS. 

If Affinity or others have any ideas for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks.