You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop Persona: Closing window != Cancel?

Closing an image with the X-Button always meant to me aborting / discarding of actions / changes and closing the window. In the Develop Persona it gets more complicated. If you want to close the window with the image you'll get the warning "The current file is being developed. Please complete or cancel before closing the document.". Then you have to press the OK-Button (Action 1), then press the Cancel-Button (Action 2), then press the Yes-Button (Action 3).

Pretty much action for simply closing a window and aborting everything in my opinion.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

This is to make sure no one looses work by accidentally closing Affinity if you are editing multiple images at once you may forget that one of your open images is currently in the develop persona and hasn't been saved / exported. As far as I know this is behaviour we are unlikely to change.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 11/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, Fixx said:

That is also bad user interface design. You can only get out of the situation if you have Context toolbar visible. If not – you have to Force quit :-D

You can get out of the Develop Persona by clicking on the Photo Persona icon, then acknowledging the warning that pops up.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 11/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, Joachim_L said:

Closing an image with the X-Button always meant to me aborting / discarding of actions / changes and closing the window. In the Develop Persona it gets more complicated. If you want to close the window with the image you'll get the warning "The current file is being developed. Please complete or cancel before closing the document.". Then you have to press the OK-Button (Action 1), then press the Cancel-Button (Action 2), then press the Yes-Button (Action 3).

Pretty much action for simply closing a window and aborting everything in my opinion.

This annoys me, too.

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

• 1 year later...

I second the request beeing able to cancel develop persona without double-confirmation, even with no confirmation.

Especially if the user did not apply any settings. Nothing is lost at that stage if you close the file.

At least, please make this unwanted nanny an option which i can disable in preferences / settings.

1. Default: can't close, must use "cancel", must confirm
  2. Level amateur: can close, must confirm
  3. Level expert: Close will close without any confirmations.

As Affinity always enphasizes Photo is more a photo editor  than a RAW / Lightroom replacement.

Reasoning:

I have >50.000 RAW files every year. Some of them i want to edit in Photo. Having a series of multiple files in Windows Explorer (large icon), i often double-click on the wrong file.

I use Photo as default App for CR2 files. Having chosen the wrong file, i want to get rid of it as fast as possible, to open the wnated file.

Thank you for listening to your users.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

To be clear: There are 2 different "close" activities

1. Switch to a different persona
  2. Close the Photo app completely

My request is beeing able to close the Photo app when clicking the "x" at the top right corner of the app, without confirmations.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I have been asking for this feature for a long time. But there doesn't seem to be many RAW developers at Affinity to understand the problem.

I also have quite a few RAW images every day and I feel the same as you.

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

• 1 year later...

Here yet another user having major issues with those never ending confirmations. I really like Affinity, but this issue alone will make me drop the software. I can't afford to waste so much time. I go through hundreds of RAWs, and I need to be able to close the damn photo and / or program when I click X, without any warnings or confirmations.

Stop being a nanny for idiots!

Why not add this option to the preferences as suggested? Any coder worth a damn could do this in 30 minutes!

On 5/12/2022 at 4:35 PM, McCarthy said:

I go through hundreds of RAWs

Just out of curiosity - APhoto is not a DAM, but a photo editor. So why are you "browsing" hundreds of files in this application?! In this application, the files should only be developped and subsequently edited, and the user interface is also adapted to this.

P.S. Of course, there should be a standard termination using the ESC key, and a standard "Don't Ask" dialog.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Just out of curiosity - APhoto is not a DAM, but a photo editor. So why are you "browsing" hundreds of files in this application?! In this application, the files should only be developped and subsequently edited, and the user interface is also adapted to this.

P.S. Of course, there should be a standard termination using the ESC key, and a standard "Don't Ask" dialog.

Because these are bad programming ergonomics, period. First semester, Masters degree in Computer Sciences.

Edited by McCarthy

On 5/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, McCarthy said:

I can't afford to waste so much time. I go through hundreds of RAWs,

You should use an application that is designed for doing that; a DAM, as @Pšenda mentioned. Affinity Photo is not that application, but we could recommend a number of them if you want, including some free ones.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You should use an application that is designed for doing that; a DAM, as @Pšenda mentioned. Affinity Photo is not that application, but we could recommend a number of them if you want, including some free ones.

That's nonsense and stop making excuses for a major software flaw. Every proper software allows to close files and the application itself without big fuzz. Lightroom doesn't force you through that stupid routine either, yet Affinity claims to be an alternative.

It's pretty simple: once you stop innovating and addressing issues brought forward by paying customers, you will lose market share, and eventually go belly up.

Affinity Photo won a few awards 2015 to 2019. Been thin in the last 3 years. Guess why.

Below the last update list, none of that is innovation, only bug fixes, weak sauce. They started dev 13 years ago and we are still at version 1.

--

Fixes & Improvements:

Updated the RAW import Library (updated libraw to 202110).
Fixed registration failure (will now use the browser to complete registration, rather than attempt it in-app)
Fixed possible rendering issues with Raster elements
Fixed background layer being blurred when re-opening an afphoto file
Fixed artefacts on export of documents with a Live Radial Blur
Fixed Overlay Paint and Erase Tools in Develop Persona not painting correctly at small brush sizes
Fixed Overlay Paint Brush starting at the edge of canvas
Fixed corrupt images when entering Photoshop plugins, with hardware acceleration enabled
Help & localisation improvements.

8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Lightroom doesn't force you through that stupid routine either, yet Affinity claims to be an alternative.

Affinity does not claim to be a Lightroom alternative, that I have ever seen. And Lightroom is a DAM, and optimized for looking at large numbers of images to winnow them. Affinity Photo is not a DAM, and is not optimized for the process you're trying to perform.

Would I like to be able to cancel the Develop operation without two clicks. Yes. But it is not a major problem for me as I don't use Affinity Photo to examine large numbers of images, because that's not its design point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity does not claim to be a Lightroom alternative, that I have ever seen. And Lightroom is a DAM, and optimized for looking at large numbers of images to winnow them. Affinity Photo is not a DAM, and is not optimized for the process you're trying to perform.

Would I like to be able to cancel the Develop operation without two clicks. Yes. But it is not a major problem for me as I don't use Affinity Photo to examine large numbers of images, because that's not its design point.

I work with Windows Explorer and Windows can only link one program to each file ending. I'm not going to change my entire workflow just because Serif Ltd can't get a simple issue straight.

As a matter of facts I just kicked Affinity from my computer due to the "community" being fanboys instead of supporting legit customer problems and innovating their product. Going back to Lightroom 6. Won't be back for any other Affinity / Serif Ltd products.

Good job.