You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unremovable background color on all text.

Ralek

• Staff

Hi Ralek,

The file opens with white visible for text for me, so I don't understand why it is not visible for you when reopening. EDIT: That said selecting the Transparency Tool shows some weird behaviour. If you click and drag with the Transparency Tool and then select 'None' from the Context Toolbar you should be ok.

Regarding the background colour, this is a known issue with development and can happen when you copy and paste text that used background formatting such as a website.

• Staff

Hi Ralek,

My suggestion above was to see if that fixed the invisible text appearing when you reopened the file. To fix the background select the incorrect piece of text and go to Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset and then Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection.

The first command will reset all the formatting, removing the background, and the second will ensure that newly created text objects are also fixed. You may have to do this for both Text Frame and Artistic Text objects if they're also affected.

Do you remember how you placed the text in the first place when it started behaving like that? Where was it pasted from?

I have the same issue and encountered it first weeks ago.

I draw rectangles, change their colors. Then I make a text frame and suddenly the text has unremovable background color. Next frames are faulty too.

It happens occasionally.

Publisher Text Frame studio fixes it. What about people who do not have Publisher?

19 minutes ago, DariuszB said:

Publisher Text Frame studio fixes it. What about people who do not have Publisher?

They (and you) could use the method suggested by Sean P just above your post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Ralek said:

Why does this happen? Is it a bug?

No one has yet said what they did to end up with the background, so we have no idea whether it is working as we should expect or whether there is a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also had this issue. Was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why it happened. I had simply clicked Artistic Text, clicked inside my artboard, and started typing. Deleted it, tried again, same issue. Closed the file, re-opened, tried again, same issue. Would not stop happening until I followed @Sean P's steps above.

Has to be a bug. I don't know how it could be "working as expected" when the Character pane clearly shows no background is applied to the text.

Edit: I'm on Mac, so it's an issue there, too.

Edited by chirmer

• 1 year later...

Hello, just came accross this discussion and there was some talk of not knowing how people ended up having the background colour change in the text box. This happened to me today when I specifically changed the background colour of a text box to match text that I had copied from a programming application. The text copied the syntax highlighting and the background colour perfectly. So I am not sure at this point if the copied text changed the default behaviour of the text box, or if the default behaviour changed when I changed the background colour of the text box. Anyway... as a result all my text was stuck with a dark grey background behind the text (not the overall text box), but Sean P's solution fixed this for me too. I am on a mac - bigsur using affinity publsher 1.10.1 and copied text from IntelliJ Idea 2021.2 (I was using a dark theme so maybe the copied text retained the dark theme background)

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm using the 30 days trial and I had the same problem, while copying a text from the wikipedia it appeared in a grey box, each line. So I tried the same as others on this forum and it removed the grey box but the paragraph style is different though it has the settings I want (the spacing are bigger than they should be and no way to change it). Does anyone knows what to do? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Had this happen spontaneously in a file I'm working on.  Nothing I did previously would indicate any reason for a background color to spontaneously appear, but my text and text frame tools both had a hot-pink background (which isn't even a color I was working with in any of my projects at the time) 
Thanks to Sean P. for the fix, but it's disappointing to see that this is still a bug more than two years and a version update later.