You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF version of either or both photo/designer book?

As someone who bought almost everything in Affinity Store, and will get the Photo Workbook... I just wish to voice how unfortunate it feels, to be complicit in tossing tree & ink on a flying chariot—then getting some poor fellow to leave lockdown to artisinally hand-deliver it.

I'd much rather download hyper-DRMed & severely-limited 30 gigs in Affinity Publisher. Today, I fished out the AD Workbook from the bottom of a box, and bent my neck to read it—contravening my expensive investments in ergonomics.

I'm not in the art/graphic-design world. Perhaps it's true that everyone's such starving artists that:

• No one has a great book-scanner.
  • If the workbooks were electronic, no one would compensate Serif sufficiently.

But I'm not blaming anyone; it's systematic. And frustrations may be amplified by the pleasure of using Affinity software. (So if anyone at Serif is demoralized by this post... I suggest they re-read it. Because I'm not blaming them, and am saying Affinity software is so good that I'd care about this in the first place.)

Given that this thread was started by someone with poor eyesight... This does feel like an unfortunate state of affairs. I hope there's some effective solution to all these problems.

It would seem these books are prized possessions, there are a few on Ebay but most are more than the original selling price or heading that way in the bidding process, one Ebay muppet is trying to sell the designer workbook for over £125 

A PDF, eBook would not command the respect for the work that has gone into creating the content that a hardback book obviously commands, It is obviously a book few people will ever let go of and will likely keep to put at the side of future revisions.

Books are more personal.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

It is obviously a book few people will ever let go of and will likely keep to put at the side of future revisions.

Personally, my intent always has been to one day donate my copy of the Photo workbook (the only one I own) to my local public library. I plan on doing this after I finish a few more projects, the ones that interest me the most.

Because of Coronavirus precautions, I am not sure when my local library will resume normal operation (including accepting donations) but that probably will happen before I finish with the book, so it should not affect my plans.

I hope that by doing this some people, particularly youngsters, will find access to it in some way useful, even if they never buy or use AP.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7