You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF version of either or both photo/designer book?

Sorry, but the workbooks are available only in phyical form, not PDF or any other ebook format. And Serif have previously said they have no plans for electronic versions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well there are for example german ebooks (PDF, ePub) available from third party book publishers, for both APhoto and ADesigner.  AFAIK there is also one for APublisher now.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

14 hours ago, rebeth said:

I somewhat understand Affinity's position (assuming their reason for not doing a PDF version is because of piracy concerns) but PDF can be locked down by a publisher, can't it.

The only way I know to 'lock down' a PDF is with a password but pirates could post them on the web so that would not be very effective.

Besides, the workbooks include a lot of images printed at high resolutions, so the file size of a PDF version would probably be too massive for most users to want to download & store on their drives.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Of course a determined software pirate has many ways to do his unscrupulous deeds but massive copyrighted, proprietary photography ebooks are sold online everyday, aren't they?  That's why I just came to the conclusion that there was little demand.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

The only way I know to 'lock down' a PDF is with a password but pirates could post them on the web so that would not be very effective.

Besides, the workbooks include a lot of images printed at high resolutions, so the file size of a PDF version would probably be too massive for most users to want to download & store on their drives.

Yes, pdf permissions passwords can be removed in less than 1 second. It takes strong pdf open passwords to secure a pdf. The passwords to open the pdf would need to be communicated to the end user and likely would be passed along as well.

However, your second paragraph is a bogus issue. PagePlus, which did the first two workbooks (I really hope Serif is attempting to use APub for its workbook) can also as easily produce a screen version and it wouldn't be a big pdf. Even so, it should then be ran through Acrobat to optimize it. I cannot imagine either workbook would be larger than 5 megs. And speaking of Acrobat, the same thing can be done to the very pfds used to print the workbook, including cropping the pages.

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

However, your second paragraph is a bogus issue. PagePlus, which did the first two workbooks (I really hope Serif is attempting to use APub for its workbook) can also as easily produce a screen version and it wouldn't be a big pdf. Even so, it should then be ran through Acrobat to optimize it. I cannot imagine either workbook would be larger than 5 megs. And speaking of Acrobat, the same thing can be done to the very pfds used to print the workbook, including cropping the pages.

Mike, have you seen a copy of the Photo workbook? What would be the point of making a PDF or e-Book version that did not include the same high resolution versions of the book's example images that could be enlarged on screen (or printed) to show the same level of detail?

Maybe even more to the point, who would be interested in buying such a thing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Low resolution pdfs are used for manuals all the time. They, the images, print OK. It's more about having the instructions on-screen when following along. Want it to look pretty too? Buy the book or ...

A version with 150 dpi images, which would print well on consumer printers, wouldn't weigh in above 10 megs or so.

Well those are first of all workbooks, so books for learning how to use the software and thus are not meant to be highres gallerie fine art photo prints in their own rights, which BTW then would have almost bigger dimensional paper sizes. And of course you can show for such sort of books enough details in PDF and epub formats too. - Why do other book publishers offer their fine learning books also in pdf and epub formats nowadays? - As an example for learning Affinity Photo, this book/ebook here is even much better and more extensive than the orig Affinity workbook.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Low resolution pdfs are used for manuals all the time.

The Affinity workbooks are not product manuals. They do include a brief introductory section that covers the basics but their primary focus is on teaching users how to use the software to achieve specific end results via a series of 'learn by doing' projects, with much of the projects' content presented in high resolution printed images.

This is so users can compare the book's images side-by-side to what they see on screen or to their own printed out versions, which among other things provides a standard for comparison that is constant regardless of their monitor or printer characteristics.

Of course, they could sell electronically distributed virtual versions of the workbooks with low resolution images to keep the file size down, but they would not provide this & I doubt many users would find them anywhere near as useful.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The Affinity workbooks are not product manuals. They do include a brief introductory section that covers the basics but their primary focus is on teaching users how to use the software to achieve specific end results via a series of 'learn by doing' projects, with much of the projects' content presented in high resolution printed images.

This is so users can compare the book's images side-by-side to what they see on screen or to their own printed out versions, which among other things provides a standard for comparison that is constant regardless of their monitor or printer characteristics.

Of course, they could sell electronically distributed virtual versions of the workbooks with low resolution images to keep the file size down, but they would not provide this & I doubt many users would find them anywhere near as useful.

Geesh. Manuals, workbook, teaching aide, whatever. What I called the workbooks isn't important. But thanks for your attempt to obfuscate.

Screen resolution is sufficient to compare on-screen. But I did mention they could as well be 150 dpi, eh? That should allow for a zoom of 150-200%. I would also argue that for this purpose, the text instructions are paramount. But you'll likely argue with that, too.

This is all moot anyway. Serif has stated they ain't gonna release electronic versions...no matter the image resolution.

16 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I would also argue that for this purpose, the text instructions are paramount.

Have you actually used either workbook, downloaded any of the project files, & worked through any of the chapters?

Affinity Photo 

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Have you actually used either workbook, downloaded any of the project files, & worked through any of the chapters?

No, I have not seen a physical book so have not dealt with any of the project files. I am not the target market person. I have looked at the sample pages in both present workbooks. I see absolutely nothing about those preview pages that preclude using them in pdf or eBook format.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

No, I have not seen a physical book so have not dealt with any of the project files. I am not the target market person.

If you ever do, you might see why I believe that for the target market, just following the numbered, step-by-step instructions without the accompanying high resolution printed images to compare the on-screen results to would provide a significantly less comprehensive & more frustrating teaching experience ... or not. ;)

Anyway, for those wondering if the workbooks are right for them please be aware that they are not, nor are they intended to be, comprehensive manuals that will teach you everything the apps can do, how to use every tool, or answer all your questions about basic functionalities. If that is what you want, look elsewhere.

You can pick up some of that by working through the projects but unless you already know how to do basic graphics editing work, which tool does what, how to access various panels, the difference between vector & raster objects, & things like that, you are probably going to be disappointed & more than a little frustrated by how difficult it will be.

Affinity Photo 

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you ever do, you might see why I believe that for the target market, just following the numbered, step-by-step instructions without the accompanying high resolution printed images to compare the on-screen results to would provide a significantly less comprehensive & more frustrating teaching experience ... or not ...

No one said the images are not important.

You simply dismiss that 120-150 dpi images sufficiently display for such a workbook. This flies in the face of nearly every eBook or pdf instructional book ever made. While I'm sure there are crappy ones out there, I have two instructional eBooks on my Android table right now that are excellent in both image detail, even when zoomed in, without being excessive in size. Both are equivalent in page quantity and image detail to the Affinity books.

And...they "lay flat" by nature on a tablet device which makes them a better choice to follow along while working in their respective applications.

You evidently have limited experience in these matters.

Ebooks (PDF, Epub), beside offering here much more zoom in/enlargement or user individual sized scaling of the shown contents (being it text, graphics or images etc.) also offer much more other comfort features. Like for example much better general searching for contents topics, index, words, crossreferences etc. The ability to directly jump back & forth to relevant related informations via hyperlinks, possible theme appendices etc. Copy out of text/code/commands for panel input sections and so on. - All in all ebooks offer much more direct access, search through and customization capabilities than a printed paper book. Further for every better IT and computer ebook all the related accompanied media is also available as download packages, either as a whole or chapter wise, dependent on the size of the whole material.

Add to that that an ebook can lay flat on your screen (the Serif printed books I have don't lay good opened on the desk and are too heavy to hold long time on arms), doesn't cover your keyboard and mouse, and most importantly does left enough room/space on the computer desk to add the coffee mug then. ;) - All in all ebooks have their advantages, especially also for people like the OP with poor eyesight.

IMHO, owning eBooks instructional aids and Affinity Photo Work Book, ePub ease of use when working on resources provided from tablet to Mac is superior.  It also eliminates one common question, how do I find and downloads.  Just click the link.  I can understand “why” Serif is hesitant to offer.  However, one can easily loan or resale the book and resources.  Additionally, it keeps the wife happy, as I have purchased and donated over two hundred, almost new books, over the years.  I also like not having to remember to place a bookmark on my page.

My intention was not to interrupt your disagreements, just add my two cents.

BTW, why do you need to manually capitalize the start of a new sentence or paragraph lately or have I just not noticed.  This is on iPad Pro. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Ebooks (PDF, Epub), beside offering here much more zoom in/enlargement or user individual sized scaling of the shown contents (being it text, graphics or images etc.) ...

Sure ... if they include high resolution images that don't pixelate if you zoom in too far.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

... also offer much more other comfort features. Like for example much better general searching for contents topics, index, words, crossreferences etc. The ability to directly jump back & forth to relevant related informations via hyperlinks, possible theme appendices etc

The Affinity workbooks are not reference manuals. They are first & foremost a collection of self-contained projects, each one intended to be worked through from beginning to end. 

Affinity Photo 

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Sure ... if they include high resolution images that don't pixelate if you zoom in too far. ...

At least in an ePub, one can zoom in. It's up to the user not to "zoom in too far."

But, one doesn't need print resolution (i.e. 300+ effective dpi) in order to still be able to zoom in and see quality detail.

58 minutes ago, R C-R said:

... if they include high resolution images that don't pixelate if you zoom in too far. 

They don't need to be that huge and highres at all for such purposes, you can give it a try with some ebooks. I have a bunch of Apple and PS theme related ebooks about graphics and photo themes, which all scale fine here. - And hardcopy paper printed ones aren't in contrast zoomable at all.

58 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The Affinity workbooks are not reference manuals. They are first & foremost a collection of self-contained projects, each one intended to be worked through from beginning to end. 

What has that to do with reference manuals or self contained projects only, so what is the lame excuse argument here? The Affinity workbooks also contain a table of contents, index and chapter intros, further inside references and footnotes which do point to other book sections and things handled in other projects in their contents. Did you never saw or had any ebook with hyperlinks which wasn't a (reference) manual?

I have a bunch of Apple, Photoshop, Photo and other software related workshop ebooks (also divided into projects and specific task) which all offer the same purpose here as the Affinity books.  Also the book & ebook I referenced above contains for example ...

• All tools, functions and techniques explained in detail
  • Digital photography, image correction, photomontage and image design
  • With numerous practical workshops and professional tips
  • With a chapter on Affinity Photo on the iPad

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

They don't need to be that huge and highres at all for such purposes ...

What purpose would that be? Consider for example the Mother of Millions project & the large 2 page spread at the end of the chapter. Why do you think that was included?

As for the index, the Photo one is only 8 pages of double-spaced two column entries, maybe 60 entries per page. But more than half of that is devoted to entries for the tools, most of which appear in several different places. If you turn to the pages they reference, you will probably notice that there is nothing about any tool that is not already covered in the built-in or online help, often in greater detail. It is the same for the references to panels, toolbars, etc.

So what would you actually use this index for, particularly if you were at your computer?

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
On 11/29/2019 at 7:11 PM, MikeW said:

I really hope Serif is attempting to use APub for its workbook

We are. Furthermore the thing stopping us make PDFs is.... us we have chosen not to. A different publication could be designed as a PDF. This one was designed as a physical book, so we choose to sell it as one. All other reasons are hypothesis and mainly bogus. Please stop arguing.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 6 months later...

When I purchased both the Workbooks from India I had great expectations.
The curiosity and expectations soon fizzled out  since the courier company could not clear my consignments from India Customs.
After a period of about seven months the books were delivered against cash payments of Custom Duty.

By this time I had discovered Training videos on Vimeo and other videos for my need based training requirements.
The entire exercise was so traumatic I did not open the Workbooks at all. Bulk of the books make it difficult to go through while working.
It's a better idea to split the Book into Chapterwise booklets with the same quality printing and adopting a little larger print size.

May be one of these days I would open those books, considering the fact that the same have costed me more than the Software for which they are written.
As far as e-book version, no way!

Edited by vhshah24
Extra character was removed.