You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bought all desktop apps through Mac App Store

• Staff

Hi joshuabbutler,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The version sold through our store is provided as a DMG file and requires a username and product keys to be installed - which are not required by the Mac App Store version since the purchase is tied to your Apple ID. Other than this they are similar functionality wise. You can always install the applications you bought from the Mac App Store on your mac or any other mac your own through the Mac App Store app anytime you need clicking your username on the bottom left of the Mac App Store app then clicking the cloud icon near the respective app on the right side.

20 hours ago, joshuabbutler said:

HI Affinity,

I bought all desktop apps through the Mac App Store. In fact, I just bought Publisher (it is great!!!). 

But, it occurred to me that I'd prefer to have a downloadable version. Is there a way I can download the apps through the Affinity Store?

Thanks,

Josh

As a iMac owner, I see advantages, not disadvantages for using App Store vs. Affinity online.  As long as you own a Mac, the program is available for you to re-download, without the need of Product Code or signing in to Affinity web site, remembering your password, etc.  All upgrades are provided by the App store.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

6 hours ago, joshuabbutler said:

It definitely is nice and convenient, but it occurred to me that if it was removed for any reason, then I wouldn't have access.

You would still have the version you got from the Mac App Store if you backed up your hard drive, for example using Time Machine or cloning software like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

And if you do not maintain a backup of your hard drive you really, really, really need to make that a high priority!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, joshuabbutler said:

It definitely is nice and convenient, but it occurred to me that if it was removed for any reason, then I wouldn't have access.

By remove you mean deleted?  As long as you have your Apple Account and a Mac, you’ll have access.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

As far as I can see, the only time Serif might remove a successful commercial product from the App Store (or indeed their own store, or the Windows store) would be when they release Version 2. At that point, if you wanted to continue using version 1.X rather than paying for an upgrade, you would have no access to an online replacement for your original software. Which brings us back to backups...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.