You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.502 (Beta)] Table cell vertical alignment affected by "Baseline grid - document"

It seems to be a bug in table's cell Vertical Alignment setting in conjunction with document's baseline grid setting.

1. The setting "Use Baseline Grid" for the table object is turned off.
  2. Vertical Alignment of all table cells is set to "Centre Vertically".
  3. The texts in cells has turned off aligning on baseline grid in the paragraph style they are assigned to.
  4. In "Baseline Grid - Document" window the option "Use Baseline Grid" is ON.
  5. The result is that texts in cells are not aligned in the middle of cells' height but are aligned from top of cells with some strange offset.
  6. Turning OFF the option "Use Baseline Grid" in "Baseline Grid - Document" window aligns the text in the cells properly - in the middle of cells' height.
  7. Turning ON the option "Use Baseline Grid" in "Baseline Grid - Document" window again aligns the text in the cells wrong again - as described in 5.

Open attached example document and try to switch "Use Baseline Grid" in "Baseline Grid - Document" window off and on. The texts in table cells will react to that switching even they should not. The text in text frame above the table don't react to baseline grid setting which is right behavior. Both texts (in white cells and in text frame) has same paragraph style applied.

In attached example there are white cells with text formatted with "Body" paragraph style which is based on "Base" group which has "Align to Baseline Grid" turned off. Then there is green filled cell with text formatted with "MyStyle" which is based on [No Style] and has also set "Align to Baseline Grid" to off.

I encountered this behavior in Publisher 1.8.0.502 (Beta) on both platforms (win and mac) and also in recent release 1.7.3.481 of Publisher on win (and mac too). Attached example document was created in win version of Publisher 1.8.0.502 (Beta).

example.afpub

I have noticed that in this topic there was already mentioned very same problem with a Text Frame. So it seems to be a general problem with vertical aligning of frames (text frames or table cells which are text frames as well) in conjunciton with baseline grid setting.

And in my post above I have forgot to mention that confusing switch "Ignore Baseline Grid" found in Text Frame and Table->Frame panels. I think that aligning of text on baseline grid should be controlled only on one place – in text's Paragraph->Baseline Grid "Align to Baseline Grid" setting.

So, it would be much better to:

• Completely remove the switch "Ignore Baseline Grid" from Text Frame and Table->Frame panels. It is confusing.
  • Rework "Baseline Grid - Document" window as follow:
  1. Present switch "Use Baseline Grid" should work only as a switch of baseline grid visibility/invisibility and should by called "Show Baseline Grid".
  2. Remove useless switch "Show Baseline Grids".
Edited by ttl

• 2 weeks later...

If the paragraph style and the table are both set to ignore baseline grid, I agree they should do so. But I disagree that you shouldn't be able to disable baseline grid at the frame/table level. I think it's very nice to be able to make the exception at that point rather than to make extra child styles for each paragraph style you want to put in frames/tables that should ignore the baseline grid.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon