You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI EPS Files with transparency and blend modes

The EPS file format does not support blend modes or transparency, so AI will have rasterised them before we even got to the image.

(AI will also have embedded an AI document as a comment, and when it opens the file itself it ignores the EPS portion and just reads the document in the comment. That's why it seems to preserve attributes in EPS. We can't read that comment because AI documents are a closed, undocumented format.)

I'm afraid that's less clear. Do you mean you are opening a file in Designer, making an opacity change there, and then exporting it as EPS? If so, then the same issue arises. EPS doesn't support opacity or blend modes, regardless of which app is generating it.

Thanks for your responses. See files attached. For this example I am only talking about the dark grey grouped object. The original file was an AI file saved as an eps. Opened in AD. I am still not convinced that what you're saying is entirely true. I just would like to see the limitations now so I can avoid inefficiencies in my workflow. Screenshot A is from AI to show what it looks like originally. Screenshot B is the file as it looks in AD. Screenshot C is showing that it has a default mode of normal (all grey pieces have normal mode). AD chopped up what was underneath and made new objects in normal mode-hence the new shaped selected. Screenshot E is the same object showing that the shape could have a blend mode of multiply. So I guess I'm trying to show is that AD takes a blend mode (multiply) object and creates an "mimicked" look in normal mode, when in fact it could have a multiply mode applied shown in last screenshot E. The chopped up pieces also is something that I would have to deal with. 

post-733-0-34246300-1436547037_thumb.png

post-733-0-74753300-1436547042_thumb.png

post-733-0-01326500-1436547053_thumb.png

post-733-0-75936600-1436547542_thumb.png