You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers dodge and burn saturation

Firstly – layers icons are often blacked out . Second bottom is a duplicate of the base layer as shown in the screen shot .
Is there a fix or an annoying little bug ? . They sometimes do appear later .

1271134387_Apdb.thumb.jpg.a6a7a516bf5420e4d1968d0615677c7e.jpg

The big question: Instead of grey tones, I get saturations tones / colours  when using layers dodge and burn (new layer >fill with 50% grey >add soft light blending layer >paint with black or white). 
Not matter what I have tried I cannot tone down the saturation that does not happen if the built in dodge / burn tools are used on the photo layer. However if the same tools used on the dodge / burn layer there is some added saturation .
I have used 100% opacity brushes for the screen shot just to show the saturated effects --- normally I use around 20%
I'm sure it did not happen back in PSE 12 or On1 days

Is there a fix --- am I doing something wrong ?
Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated

PS What have I tried ? Mostly adding HSL or saturation adjustment layers to the d/b layer --- different blend layers. I have at times added  HSL or saturation  adjustment layers after the dodge and burning is complicate . Does work but not I'm sure that is not the best way

Thanks Lee  --- here's hoping I can upload a dng file 
You can likely work what I've done >raw file edited in Lr5 >sent to Ap >no edits done Ap >add black and white adjustment layer >burn/dodge macro added >top layer painted once with 50% opacity soft brush.
I pick this file to show the difference between the B/W and colour after burning --- surprised me when the B/W layer was turned off 

cheers

2019-12-0082.dng

burn dodge.jpg

as edited in Lr5.jpg