You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just took advantage of the black Friday sale and purchased AP Publisher - don't see immediately a way to do page headers and footers.

I have a 260 PDF that I created years ago as a user manual for an application but want to update it using AP Pub and it has to have at least footers on every page.

Basically you would draw a text frame for the header and another for the footer on a Master Page and apply the Master to your document pages that need those items.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I would imagine because styles like "Header1" are specific to MS Word, and don't get transferred from the Word doc to the pdf to APub.

The right-hand pull-down menu in your screen grab that currently says [No Style] displays Publisher's own default Paragraph styles. You can modify and add to these if necessary to give you the styling you need.

Also under that menu is New Style... which will let you create a style based on the properties of the paragraph you have selected.

1049785366_Screenshot2019-11-29at10_05_04.png.76e6525d4b9a814dd4cdd43ab947260d.png

Gives you...

582237799_Screenshot2019-11-29at10_05_17.thumb.png.cb134791f8bc0f7943708b3f2c946e6d.png

The left-hand pull-down is for Character styles, which aren't going to be so useful for styling headers and the like.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

10 hours ago, Scrabo said:

So why does importing a PDF document that was originally created in word document, not allow me to select styles for Header1 etc ?

Styles defined in Word would not carry through into a PDF file, as far as I know. If you have the original Word document in .rtf or .docx format, you could import that instead, and the styles would carry over.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

.rtf files didnt import but I got there in the end.   However my TOC needs to be more than 1 page and that is all it is currently offering me.   In the original Word/PDF TOC was close to 3 pages. 

Any ideas ...  none of the Serif videos show more than one page of TOC

2 hours ago, Scrabo said:

.rtf files didnt import but I got there in the end.   However my TOC needs to be more than 1 page and that is all it is currently offering me.   In the original Word/PDF TOC was close to 3 pages. 

Any ideas ...  none of the Serif videos show more than one page of TOC 

Are you creating the TOC in Publisher, or did it come in from your file?

If I were creating it directly in Publisher, I would draw a Text Frame for the TOC on one page, add the TOC, then if it needed more room I would shift-click on the red linking triangle and let Publisher create additional pages.

Or I might try inserting the additional pages myself, especially if I had a document setup with Facing Pages, and manually create and link the added TOC frames.

-- Walt
PC: