You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Revamp the brush size shortcut

Right now, holding Alt+RMB+LMB lets you drag and resize the brush on the fly, which is a feature Photoshop also has. Except in Photoshop it's just hold Alt+RMB, which currently does nothing in Affinity Photo. Please change this shortcut to this for all the tools that let you change brush sizes. Not only is it easier to do, it standardizes for those who still use both PS and AF.

On top of that, Photoshop has a shortcut in brush mode, clicking RMB brings up a list of brushes. Convenient, and eliminates the need to always have the brushes toolbox open.

Edited by danlam

52 minutes ago, danlam said:

Right now, holding Ctrl+Alt+RMB+LMB lets you drag and resize the brush on the fly

I'm not at my computer right now, but I think you're pressing too many keys. On win Windows it should be just Alt+RMB+LMB and drag.

On Mac I think it's Ctrl+ Alt/Option+LMB and drag.

Do it's either 1 key and 2 buttons or 2 keys and 1 button.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not at my computer right now, but I think you're pressing too many keys. On win Windows it should be just Alt+RMB+LMB and drag.

On Mac I think it's Ctrl+ Alt/Option+LMB and drag.

Do it's either 1 key and 2 buttons or 2 keys and 1 button.

You are absolutely right, updating the original post to reflect this. However, that's still one too many mouse buttons to be held for no reason.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:39 PM, danlam said:

currently does nothing in Affinity Photo

Not true.  In Affinity Photo, this activates the color picker when using the brush tool.

@walt.farrell, correct: it is control+option+LMB drag on the Mac.  The Mac has four modifier keys instead of just three so none of the mouse chording is needed (that is how Serif seems to be compensating for Windows having one fewer modifier key to work with).

14 hours ago, fde101 said:

Not true.  In Affinity Photo, this activates the color picker when using the brush tool.

Holding Alt activates the color picker. I use it all the time. Holding Alt+RMB doesn't do anything.

Edited by danlam

7 hours ago, danlam said:

Holding Alt activates the color picker. I use it all the time. Holding Alt+RMB doesn't do anything.

But you also have to Drag to adjust the size, and Affinity is consistent in defining Drag as meaning "LMB + move mouse". It would be very confusing to have a form of Drag using only the RMB. (And, I'm not sure I've seen any software that uses a drag with the RMB and not the LMB.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/30/2019 at 2:27 AM, walt.farrell said:

And, I'm not sure I've seen any software that uses a drag with the RMB and not the LMB.

Yes, Photoshop does this. For resizing the brush size. Try it out. Alt+RMB
and slightly off topic, but Windows itself has RMB dragging. It lets you window-select files, and immediately brings up the command menu on release, instead of the two-step LMB window-select, then clicking RMB to bring up the menu.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make here is that Affinity Photo does a lot of things to be like photoshop, and basically be a seamless alternative to Photoshop with improved tools. Shortcut keys are an integral part of productivity, so having them match across the board helps with migrating users from Photoshop to Affinity Photo.