You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Text as 100% K in PDF

Aleks7

Mike, many thanks for checking this. Somehow we manage to keep getting work done while everyone is shopping.:)

I must have done something terribly wrong the first time around. Something that even managed to corrupt the file. So I'll withdraw the bug issue and chalk it off to a learning curve problem. I guess there's no need to send this to a printer, since the first file was obviously the wrong black. It's nice to know I can use AF Photo after all.

That said, I still think AF Photo is cumbersome in this regard (color management), and I would still like to see an improvement in on-the-fly color ID (the eyedropper). 

Anyhow, thanks for spending the time and effort to look into this. I'll tell the poster on the Facebook group that his problem is probably similar to mine.

R

12 hours ago, Yankeese said:

Maybe I was too quick to call this a bug. It seems that AF Photo just has a more cumbersome process for converting RGB to CMYK, and tweaking color settings, than the other programs.

Personally, I would like to see the ability to select Document Setup from the file menu after an afPhoto file has been created or an image file opened in the same way you can select Document Setup in both Designer and Publisher after a new file has been created. I think that would be an easier/quicker way to see and adjust the file and colour settings and potentially remove a lot of the confusion.

I would also like to see the addition of a files' colour format appear as part of the filename in the individual window/tab for that file, so instead of a file showing as lx_Chel_05b.tiff, I'd like to see it appear as lx_Chel_05b.tiff (CMYKA/8) or myfile.jpg (RGBA/8). Currently, this information is only shown in the context toolbar when the Pan Tool is selected, why not have it always available as a simple visual guide/reminder regardless of the tool selected.

12 hours ago, Yankeese said:

I also question why there is no way to view the color specs in the color picker as one passes the tool over the document. All the other programs have on-the-fly color info available. Having to take your eye off the target and look at a side palette is really not so great.

This is available when click dragging the colour picker from the colour palette...

colour_ref.thumb.jpg.b9b9a5bf611b500184caf657c12f5363.jpg

or as you say, in the Info palette when using the Colour Picker Tool, but I can't see any reason why this couldn't be added as a toggle option for the Colour Picker Tool itself.

colour_picker_tool.thumb.jpg.24bf972e87ee23eb188b54d03427e599.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

On 11/30/2019 at 9:06 AM, Hangman said:

Personally, I would like to see the ability to select Document Setup from the file menu after an afPhoto file has been created or an image file opened in the same way you can select Document Setup in both Designer and Publisher after a new file has been created. I think that would be an easier/quicker way to see and adjust the file and colour settings and potentially remove a lot of the confusion.

I would also like to see the addition of a files' colour format appear as part of the filename in the individual window/tab for that file, so instead of a file showing as lx_Chel_05b.tiff, I'd like to see it appear as lx_Chel_05b.tiff (CMYKA/8) or myfile.jpg (RGBA/8). Currently, this information is only shown in the context toolbar when the Pan Tool is selected, why not have it always available as a simple visual guide/reminder regardless of the tool selected.

This is available when click dragging the colour picker from the colour palette...

colour_ref.thumb.jpg.b9b9a5bf611b500184caf657c12f5363.jpg

or as you say, in the Info palette when using the Colour Picker Tool, but I can't see any reason why this couldn't be added as a toggle option for the Colour Picker Tool itself.

colour_picker_tool.thumb.jpg.24bf972e87ee23eb188b54d03427e599.jpg

Hangman, good points. And I just plain missed the color picker click-and-drag method. But that kind of points up what I'm saying. In every similar program I've used, you simply drag the color picker/eyedropper over the image, and the info is there. Why is the extra step necessary? It may seem minor, but it is just more cumbersome than it needs to be.

(Edit 12/2/2019): I have played with this some more, and now see the logic of the click-and-drag. I didn't realize that the circle provided local magnification so you can see which pixels are being measured, without having to zoom in on the entire image. Very useful. I am willing to reverse my opinion and say I like this. Obviously I have to be more careful in my explorations.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

Edited by Yankeese
Change of opinion regarding a feature.

I couldn’t agree more, the click and drag eye dropper has always been my least favourite feature of the affinity apps, I’ve never understood the logic for the need to have to drag the colour picker to sample colour (I appreciate we have the colour picker tool also) but it’s always felt very unintuitive to me and it makes little sense but I hope this is an area, along with colour management where we see some big improvements in v2.0.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

39 minutes ago, Yankeese said:

I see you on the Quark group in FB all the time. I don't use a moniker there. Just posted about the Open Type aalt issue.

What Q is missing is the ability to use aalt as a feature. But yes, if the glyphs are encoded as such, they can be accessed via the glyphs palette. Petar wants the OT Feature.

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

What Q is missing is the ability to use aalt as a feature. But yes, if the glyphs are encoded as such, they can be accessed via the glyphs palette. Petar wants the OT Feature.

Interesting. I just found that. I haven't been using AF Pub because of the larger issue of how it handles inserting pages in spreads, which I reported earlier. Until that is fixed, I can't use it for my purposes. It also doesn't have a "book" or "combine files for output" feature, which means I have huge cumbersome files for a large book, which take forever to load and to save, not to mention to navigate through.

It looks as though it is on the right track, though, and hopefully they'll fix the problems.

Edited by Yankeese
correction of typo