You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When will Affinity Photo be able to create mockups and then be able to buy and sell them? I create brand identities and mockups are extremely vital for my presentations, yes I can use PSD mockups and place the designs on there, etc but its only good for very basic ones. 

Also, I cannot buy or sell any pre-made mockups anywhere it seems.

So my question is when will AP have this functionality? Because this is the only reason I have not switched to AP and why a lot of other logo and brand identity designers have not done the same.

• Staff

Hi ExorsisDesign,

Welcome to the forums :) 

I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean by mockups however I'm assuming you are referring to smart objects. We would like to support smart objects in the future but we don't have an ETA just yet.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

6 hours ago, Callum said:

I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean by mockups however I'm assuming you are referring to smart objects. We would like to support smart objects in the future but we don't have an ETA just yet.

In that context, Callum, wouldn't an Embedded .afdesign file work?

It can be modified, or replaced with something else, and seems to be the native Affinity version of a PS smart object.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In that context, Callum, wouldn't an Embedded .afdesign file work?

It can be modified, or replaced with something else, and seems to be the native Affinity version of a PS smart object.

Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work like smart objects. You can only move, resize and rotate the embed document placed in your project. When you try to do something more complicated like distort or shear the object, it either doesn't react or AP automatically flattens/rasterises the object so you can no longer replace or edit it. This is frustrating cause most mock ups depend on more complicated transformations of objects.

You can add a Live Perspective Filter to a layer to get a shear or perspective distort without losing the ability to edit/replace the image.
Which other functionality is missing? There may be ways of reproducing what you need but we will have to have specific examples to work with.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can add a Live Perspective Filter to a layer to get a shear or perspective distort without losing the ability to edit/replace the image.
Which other functionality is missing? There may be ways of reproducing what you need but we will have to have specific examples to work with.

I'll explain it this way:

My job includes preparing mock ups/visualisations of products for clients. For example - a client wants a mug with his logo and I make a project + a visualisation of what the mug will look like. There are many products, some of them are simple to "mock up" like postcards, business cards etc. but some other are more complicated like ribbons or lanyards and they require more work (our visualisations are pretty realistic so I have to put a project of a ribbon on a "real" ribbon). In Photoshop editing the objects is simple using warp, distort or playing with the object nodes. I also work on old files. I mean that I use previous visualisation of a product to make a new one and I just replace the project (in PS case its just a few clicks thanks to smart objects).
I think this would be difficult to replicate in Affinity. I am looking to say bye-bye to Adobe bc of it's crazy price so I'm just checking if Affinity Photo & Designer provides all options I need to work smoothly.

Currently the Mesh Warp Tool is a ‘destructive’ tool in that the original image is ‘lost’, so that’s probably not good enough for your needs.
I certainly can’t think – off the top of my head – of a non-destructive way to get something superimposed onto something as complicated as a ribbon in Photo.
A Live Spherical Filter might, under some very specific circumstances, let you overlay onto a bottle or mug but the time getting it close to being right may be too long for your deadlines, and isn’t the right tool anyway.
That said, there are many people in the forums who are way more experienced than me so they might have more/better ideas.

12 hours ago, aj_graphic said:

Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work like smart objects. You can only move, resize and rotate the embed document placed in your project. When you try to do something more complicated like distort or shear the object, it either doesn't react or AP automatically flattens/rasterises the object so you can no longer replace or edit it.

FWIW, that is true for the AP Mesh Warp & Perspective distortion tools, but you can shear embedded .afdesign files without anything being converted to a raster object.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, haakoo said:

There are nondestructive live distort filters too,including perspective

I had never really thought about applying those live filters to an embedded .afdesign document, & I don't know how well that would work for the OP's needs, but I just spent ½ an hour or so amusing myself playing around with this Non-destructive distortions.afphoto file. Enabling the live filter layers one at a time & varying the settings might give somebody some idea if it might be useful for them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am a moron. I was trying to use the Filters from top menu bar instead of the option at the bottom of the Layers panel. Now it works OK, I'll play with it a little more and maybe try to make some of my projects using Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop. 

Maybe I'll even make some mock ups with Affinity and share it (cause I guess there are none to be found right now?)

You can also add a Live Filter from the Layer menu: “New Live Filter Layer”.
I haven’t been keeping an eye out specifically for mock-ups but I can’t remember seeing many being posted to the forums. There certainly aren’t any that spring to mind, but my memory isn’t great.
Any that you can share would probably be appreciated by quite a few people.
If a good number of them are created (or found) then it’s possible that one of the moderators could create a pinned thread in Resources to find them in, which would be useful.

On 11/27/2019 at 4:47 AM, ExorsisDesign said:

Yes mockups like I can download a scene of business cards or a backpack mockup that will allow me to change the colors and put logos on there etc so I assume smart objects yes

I always use the ones made in PS becasue Im not that clever!  I just use Photo  for this part. I select the smart layer wher eI want my design image to go and paste it.If it does not sit in properly I manually pop it into by right clicking and sliding it. For a final touch up I select my image and use the Perspective  / OR  / Mesh tool to ensure the image ius positioned appropriate to the mock up it is  on. I also now use the Isometric grids too.Really helpful.  Try recreating a mockup item  using one of thje many PS tutes on YouTube

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:51 AM, aj_graphic said:

I am a moron. I was trying to use the Filters from top menu bar instead of the option at the bottom of the Layers panel. Now it works OK, I'll play with it a little more and maybe try to make some of my projects using Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop. 

Maybe I'll even make some mock ups with Affinity and share it (cause I guess there are none to be found right now?)

Hey aj_graphic,
Please do, in fact could you just jot down here the points of the workflow to create an AP mockup? I need to do mockups for book covers and would love to be able to make my own and share them too. ... is there a way to apply the live filters from the layers panel with macros maybe to have a 'proper' template mockup?