You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any reason why the default open will revert to txt files?

Is there any reason why Affinity chose to have the default open files for Publisher and Photo as ..txt files?

405809042_2019-11-2616_47_50-Open.jpg.77bbb68e11f403264d029551dd8db8cd.jpg

After working with both programs eventually this happens?

Would it be possible to just have the default as "all supported" files? Thanks

The default is to look for all supported files, @km.au. The behavior you're seeing should only happen when you have a Text Frame selected, or one of the Text Tools active.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The File > Place option (supposedly) only defaulting to txt files when you have only text frames/tools selected is flawed/broken

There are many ways for File > Place to default to txt files when you have never used text or a text tool in your document

Personally I know of 8 ways to do this... :D

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

36 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Personally I know of 8 ways to do this... 

Describing 3 of them would help :D

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Seeing it's you Walt, you can have #6 :D

Which took me a while to recreate my steps as I took the dog for a walk after step 4 so had trouble remembering what I had done just before that

1. Start Publisher (fresh start)

2. File > New (any settings)

3. File > Place (place any jpg file)

4. In context toolbar, Replace Image (choose any other jpg file)

5. Take the dog for a walk

6. File > New (create a new document)

7. File > Place (defaults to txt files only!)

(Windows 8.1, tested on beta and released versions of Publisher)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks, Carl. (I was really hoping for #6; you know me so well :) )

Interesting. Doesn't even require walking the dog :D

I hope you report that in the Bugs forum if you haven't already.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Carl. (I was really hoping for #6; you know me so well :) )

Interesting. Doesn't even require walking the dog :D

Walking the dog might involve fleas.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Nope, I've given up on reporting bugs for which there are easy workarounds.

The File > Place defaulting to text issue has been raised too many times in this forum for Affinity not to know there is a problem with it.

Prefer to let the Devs work on bugs that currently have no workarounds - which will be more beneficial to all in the short/long term.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

Nope, I've given up on reporting bugs for which there are easy workarounds.

The File > Place defaulting to text issue has been raised too many times in this forum for Affinity not to know there is a problem with it.

Prefer to let the Devs work on bugs that currently have no workarounds - which will be more beneficial to all in the short/long term.

But it would make sure they have a recipe for one failure. If they don't have any recipes it can be difficult to track down a bug, and discourage them from working on it :)

-- Walt
PC:

22 hours ago, carl123 said:

(Windows 8.1, tested on beta and released versions of Publisher)

FWIW, the Place dialog window on Macs does not work quite the same way as on Windows -- it only greys out filetypes Affinity Publisher can't place in the document -- but there does not seem to be any similar issue with placing jpeg or other supported filetypes on my Mac.

The closest I can get to that is to first select an existing text object -- with it still selected, in the place dialog the only filetypes that are not greyed out are .txt & .rtf filetypes. Placing either one replaces the text in the existing text object, which I assume is how it is supposed to work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But it would make sure they have a recipe for one failure. If they don't have any recipes it can be difficult to track down a bug, and discourage them from working on it :)

Carl's recipe could be difficult for them to follow if there are no dogs at Serif headquarters they could take for a walk....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Carl's recipe could be difficult for them to follow if there are no dogs at Serif headquarters they could take for a walk....

Here's a variation on the recipe above that does not require any dog walking

In step 4 above, just File > Place another image instead and skip to step 6

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Here's a variation on the recipe above that does not require any dog walking

I meant the dog walking requirement as a joke (of sorts) but to be clear about it there is no recipe that on my Mac that produces similar results, so it must be a Windows-only thing.

Affinity Photo