You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place from cloud takes a very long time.

Bands321

When trying to “Place from cloud”, the program takes quiet a while. (Sometimes my screen goes dark from waiting so long)

Once I choose image from cloud and place, when I choose this option again, to place another image, it does the same thing. 

If I open the Files app & Affinity Photo and do a drag and drop there is no lag.

Any ideas?

I have a screen capture showing both but do not want to post it publicly.

• Staff

Hey Bands321,

I have seen one other report of this but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Does it seem to happen after a period of time or can it happen as soon as the file has loaded and you begin working on it?

Can you upload the screen capture to this private Dropbox folder, please?

• Staff

Thanks for the video. I can't quite tell which cloud service you are using but I've tried this with iCloud and Dropbox and it is fine. It looks like you're seeing the same issue as the other report I mentioned so I'm sure there's something going wrong I just can't reproduce it. 

Can you also confirm which iPad you have?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Bands321,

I've been trying this on and off for the past week because I'm still trying to investigate the other report we had and I just cannot reproduce it. I'm using a customer file (from the other report) and I've placed JPEGs, TIFFs, PNGs—all of which are hosted on my iCloud. 

Are the crashes occurring when you attempt to place or generally working with the app?

I wouldn't mind seeing a crash report. The next time you get it, can you do this:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data and look for the Photo iPad crash. Then click Share to save to an .ips file. You can then save it to a cloud service and attach it here.

You can upload that video here please.

• Staff

Hey Bands321,

I still cannot get the crash. I've tried 2 iPad's (different spec) with over 200 images in an iCloud folder.

I'm just going to log this with the developers as you've provided the crash reports. They may be able to figure out what's going on.

• 1 month later...

Hello. Has their been any developments on this topic?

I have been doing a bit of troubleshooting. I got Apple support involved and they ran hardware tests and found no issues. I totally re-set my iPad with nothing but the basic apps that come with a clean install and Affinity Photo. I tried to use the program again (both using iCloud & having the files local on my iPad), I still had the serious lag issue. I did however move these “files” (they are .png/.jpg files) to my Photos and did not have any issues.

So it seems the issue is somewhere in the importing of a files from “The Cloud” link. I also have an app called “Documents by Readdle” that I access using the “Cloud” link that gives me the same lag.

I have attached a screen recording.

Thank you.

• Staff

Hello Bands321,

Unfortunately there haven't been any updates yet. The iPad version of our apps have not entered a beta phase yet as we are still making changes to the desktop versions. I have however bumped the bug report to let the developers know you've attached a video. My apologies. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. 

I have been in contact with Apple regarding this issue, it was escalated to their upper tier support.

They sent me a new iPad. The new iPad came with IOS 12.3.1. I ran a work load using Affinity on the iPad running IOS 12.3.1. It worked as usual. No issues, no serious lag.
I ran the same workload on my original iPad that had been updated to IOS 13.3.1 and had serious lag and at times, unresponsiveness.

The screen capture on the new iPad with the old version of IOS (12.3.1) was 3:36 long

The screen capture on the original iPad with the new version of IOS (13.3.1) was 15:39 long.

I ran a new work load today after the Photo update and it still has issues.

I have uploaded the screen captures to a Dropbox account if you would like to view them.

I had a follow-up call with Apple today after sending the screen captures to them and they confirmed it is an issue on the “3rd party app” (Affinity).

is there any update on this issue?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for recording. How many items are in the folder you're browsing? I have a folder with 211 objects (half of these are folders with hundreds of images in) and I have to wait a second or two, at beast for everything to load.

There are 74 folders total In the main folder (it is 239Gb). The first set of sub-folders have hundreds of files in them. My structure is typically: Main folder, sub folder 1, sub folder 2, sub folder 3 (not all have sub folder 3). The largest sub-folder 1 has 385 files with 11 being sub-folders that include another sub-folder.

I did have to wait for them to load is IOS 12, but it wasn’t long. I could see them populating. With the IOS 13 update, I walk away because it takes so long and sometimes it just times out.

My biggest issue is, I know I have a lot of files. BUT, before IOS 13, I didn’t have an issue trying to load them/use Affinity.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

What if you just access the same folder through Files and not through Affinity?

As far as I know, as soon as we choose to place something, we're just invoking the Files app. I'd expect browsing Files to be as slow to be honest. 

I am uploading a new video.  Opening files within the Files app does not act the same way.  If I open a file/image within the Files app itself, there is no lag.

The beginning of the video shows me opening in Files, I open Affinity and do several different workflows.  Some are ok, others are very slow and at the end, it just stops responding.  I then closed Affinity and opened the Files app and tried to open the same files that made Affinity become unresponsive and they open quickly in the Files app.

58 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thanks Bands321, you didn't need to make a video just to tell me that—I would have believed you :) There's a particular developer I'd like to go over with this tomorrow so I'll report back!

:) I appreciate that. I just know when troubleshooting having as much information as possible helps. 

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Bands321,

I've been slowly building up a folder of files with sub folders etc. by duplicating existing files/folders and what not and I'm not quite seeing the time delays I've seen in your videos. I'm using Dropbox and have 805.65GB of data in a folder that has 43 items in it (mixture of folders and files etc.).

I only have 50GB iCloud storage so I can't really do a fair test. 

So no positive news, just updating you and letting you know it is still being looked at. I am convinced the iOS update did something though as I hadn't seen any reports for iOS 12. 

Thank you for your response. I also believe it is a IOS 13 issue. I have been working with someone at Apple throughout this process and have finally been able to prove it is something within IOS 13.  I was using Safari and the Files app and the same issue happened. I was recording at the time so I have forwarded my recording to Apple. I will let you know when I hear back from her. She does the same thing you have been doing with touching base while it is being looked at.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

Thank you for your response. I also believe it is a IOS 13 issue. I have been working with someone at Apple throughout this process and have finally been able to prove it is something within IOS 13.  I was using Safari and the Files app and the same issue happened. I was recording at the time so I have forwarded my recording to Apple. I will let you know when I hear back from her. She does the same thing you have been doing with touching base while it is being looked at.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.