You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP - Same Mask, Different Result on Layer or Group

Hi all,

I may be missing something here, but I have a pixel layer with a mask nested within a group. I want to move the mask to the group so I can add additional layers within that will obey the mask. However, when I move the mask from the nested layer to the group layer, I get a completely different result even though I believe the results should be the same since the only layer in the group is the pixel layer that has the mask. Can anyone see what I'm missing here, or is this perhaps a bug or inconsistency in the software? Attaching a video to demonstrate--look at the difference along the edge of his hair as I move the mask between layer and group.

I changed the group blending mode to "normal", and the result became consistent. I'm leaving this here in case someone can explain to me why this changed anything at all. From the help document: "Any layer or object can have a blend mode assigned. The default blend mode is 'Normal'—no special compositing is applied. For a group, the default is 'Passthrough'. When set, the group itself has no special blend properties of its own, and passes on the blend mode of its parent layer."

If the default is "normal", and the group has no parent, why is "passthrough" creating an unexpected result? If it isn't inheriting "normal" from the document default, what is happening here?

Thanks in advance for any insight!