You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am not sure if this topic has been covered before.
I really love Affinity Photo. In my opinion it is superior to photoshop in many aspects, at least when compared to CS5 since that was the last photoshop I used to use before switching to APh.
But there is one thing about APh that is kind of annoying.
When I highlight a group of images I want to open at the same time APh always opens and orders them in the tabs according to their files sizes and not the order they are arranged in according to their alphanumeric names.
This is particularly annoying when it is a group of photos I am processing to be made into a panorama.
I went into the preferences and cannot find anything listed for how the files are opened or ordered in the tabs.
Is there a way to make a group of files open in their alphanumeric order and not their sizes?

AFAIK on Macs it opens the files ordered according to their date (newer to older) instead of file sizes. However it doesn't show them up in the initially selected order (first selected, second selected, third selected ...) here. The same happens when accessing APh from a terminal and passing over the files to open as app arguments.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

As far as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason to how the files are opened. Not size nor date or name or anything. It is just frustrating in that I cannot control the order.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

AFAIK on Macs it opens the files ordered according to their date (newer to older) instead of file sizes. However it doesn't show them up in the initially selected order (first selected, second selected, third selected ...) here. The same happens when accessing APh from a terminal and passing over the files to open as app arguments.

If I open the files one at a time they will line up in order in the tabs.
The problem starts when I select a group of images to open together.
When I am opening RAW files as a group and they are close to the same size or have identical file sizes APh opens them in a totally random order.
It seems the date does not matter because when I select a group of RAWs they all have the same date with only the hours and minutes varying.
But even then when I select them they are in an order and yet APh opens them randomly.

Does anyone have a technical reason APh might be doing this?
Could it have something to do with the camera metadata for each file?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

35 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

I have an old bug report on the topic lying around somewhere... my SWAG based on experience is that the tabs are filled in in order of _completion of load_, not _initiation of load_. Larger files in a group will wind up later in the tab order on launch/open group. Predictability among larger files is not high given variations of code performance at the time of file open, available required system resources that may vary depending on the content of the file, and speed of retrieval from underlying storage.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

33 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I read through that thread and it seems the problem has not been addressed yet by those that write the code for APh, especially since I have the current version 1.7.3
I know it is not a problem with my Mac's Finder App because when I use the finder to select a group and open them with the Preview App they all open in their assigned alphanumeric name order.
This random opening of the files seems to be only when I use APh to open them.

2 minutes ago, Brad Brighton said:

I have an old bug report on the topic lying around somewhere... my SWAG based on experience is that the tabs are filled in in order of _completion of load_, not _initiation of load_. Larger files in a group will wind up later in the tab order on launch/open group. Predictability among larger files is not high given variations of code performance at the time of file open, available required system resources that may vary depending on the content of the file, and speed of retrieval from underlying storage.

Like I mentioned, if I open the files one at a time they do line up in the tabs in their original order.
I can also drag the tabs into their original order, but that takes a little time if I have 8 or 10 files open at the same time.
I also mentioned that when opening RAW files in which the file sizes are almost identical the opening order is completely random.
I am wondering if this has something to do with the camera metadata because the only thing that varies a lot from image to image is the camera settings for each shot.

1 hour ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

Could it have something to do with the camera metadata for each file?

Don't know if the Affinity apps do perform some sort of load balancing here when a chunk of files is to be loaded. - However other MacOS apps here (like PSE, GC etc.) don't behave this way, they load and arrange the files always in the initially as selected (FIFO) order.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Apparently this is an issue that the techs for Affinity Photo will have to answer.
It is not causing a problem with processing the photos, it is just an inconvenience when I have to drag the file tabs into their proper order before I begin processing the photos.
Maybe someone from Affinity Photo will address this later or perhaps it will be fixed in a later update.

• Staff

Hi DeepDesertPhoto :)

16 hours ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

When I highlight a group of images I want to open at the same time APh always opens and orders them in the tabs according to their files sizes and not the order they are arranged in according to their alphanumeric names.

This is the current expected behaviour, and this has been logged previously with our developers. I can confirm that when opening multiple files on Windows, Affinity will display these files in the order they're processed by the app, meaning they load asynchronously. Usually this is based on file size, as a smaller file will be processed faster - however this depends on multiple factors and occasionally a larger file may open quicker than a smaller file.

On MacOS,  they are loaded by user selection order. However, the load time differs for each document so they might finish loading in a different order - hence your documents don't appear in the same order they are selected/loaded in. 

As mentioned, this is logged with our developers and I've requested an update on this log as to if/when we may implement a 'logic' into file opening. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!