Jump to content
AffinityAppMan

Vector brushes, export artwork quality???

Recommended Posts

I noticed that when exporting a file that uses ALL vector brushes, to open in another vector app or just to enlarge the artwork  to any size, some vector brushes look pixelated. They seem to get rasterized.  I tried exporting as eps, svg, and pdf.

i am guessing these brushes where made with bitmap images so it doesn’t maintain the vector math flexibility.

is there a vector brush set available that emulates pencils, charcoal, and shading looks that stays vector on export to maintain the high quality vector artwork when opened in other vector apps or just using it at larger sizes?  Not necessarily as brushes, but as scalable quality vector art.

 thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi AffinityAppMan,

As you imagined the brushes you are using are in fact bitmap images stretched along a vector path (I'm assuming as I haven't seen the brushes you used). As far as I'm aware we have no pencil brushes that are true vector I'm afraid.

Thanks

C


Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi AffinityAppMan,

As you imagined the brushes you are using are in fact bitmap images stretched along a vector path (I'm assuming as I haven't seen the brushes you used). As far as I'm aware we have no pencil brushes that are true vector I'm afraid.

Thanks

C

Thanks for the reply!


That’s what I was afraid of.
So most vector brushes are for lower end work that don’t require printing at large sizes?

Why even bother with them, unless you are printing small or the web?

I was under the impression that vector work was supposed to be math based and look good at any size.
Is this not true?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 2:11 AM, AffinityAppMan said:

I was under the impression that vector work was supposed to be math based and look good at any size.
Is this not true?

That is correct, but these "Vector" brushes are a PNG image (raster) along a curve. I think it is misleading to call brushes used in draw persona vector brushes when they most certainly are NOT it is a raster brush you can bend.

A vector brush utilises a vector file, so to mirror Adobe Illustrators method, it would require an afdesign file with vector objects as the texture, then it could be called a vector brush. I'm not sure why this hasn't been implemented. Making brushes from a selection of vector objects so everything is in-house so to speak would certainly make brush creation much easier.

It needs work, sooner than later.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, firstdefence said:

That is correct, but these "Vector" brushes are a PNG image (raster) along a curve. I think it is misleading to call brushes used in draw persona vector brushes when they most certainly are NOT it is a raster brush you can bend.

A vector brush utilises a vector file, so to mirror Adobe Illustrators method, it would require an afdesign file with vector objects as the texture, then it could be called a vector brush. I'm not sure why this hasn't been implemented. Making brushes from a selection so everything is in-house so to speak would certainly make brush creation much easier.

It needs work, sooner than later.

I agree,  it is very misleading to call these vector brushes.  Vectors are resolution free that can be used at any size without lost of quality.

This makes vector brushes in AD obsolete in most cases.  Not good if you are running an illustration or graphics company that requires real vector brushes to achieve many looks.

 I don't think AD vector brushes should be called "VECTOR BRUSHES" if the vector capabilities are not there when it comes to independent resolution at any size.  That's what VECTOR is.

This is very disappointing :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 6:26 AM, AffinityAppMan said:

I agree,  it is very misleading to call these vector brushes.   I don't think AD vector brushes should be called "VECTOR BRUSHES" if the vector capabilities are not there when it comes to independent resolution at any size.  This is very disappointing :( 

Amen brother, these are raster brushes following a vector path, and pretty low-res ones at that. They definitely should be called "raster brushes" (or bitmap for you young people). You'd have thought this would have been on the "to-do" list before they even started programming these apps....I mean what are the branding agencies gonna do with their logo designs without Illustrators crazy "hand drawn" vector brush strokes? They won't even look at AD.


Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a big surprise to me that Affinity Designer didn't have true vector brushes, left me scratching my head as to why.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

It was a big surprise to me that Affinity Designer didn't have true vector brushes, left me scratching my head as to why.

The same could be said for several other common vector app features like a scissors or knife tool or some sort of stroke width tool. 


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.