You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Commercial Use

1 hour ago, DDD2019 said:

Can Affinity Photo be used for commercial use?  Thank you.  

As Mike said, yes. But note that there are restrictions on how it's used, depending on who is using it, and how many people are using the machine where it's licensed. So it's worthwhile reading the EULA.

Here's one, for Windows, for example: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/licence/

The relevant part:

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

(ii) if you are a commercial enterprise, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Serif Software for use either: (a) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control; For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, walt.farrell said:

As Mike said, yes. But note that there are restrictions on how it's used, depending on who is using it, and how many people are using the machine where it's licensed. So it's worthwhile reading the EULA.

Here's one, for Windows, for example: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/licence/

The relevant part:

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

(ii) if you are a commercial enterprise, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Serif Software for use either: (a) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control; For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

I'm actually a bit confused about section (ii) about this... I bought this for commercial use, and I have it installed on my main computer. I'd like to install it on my laptop, too, so that I can show clients projects while on the road.

Am I to understand that I am allowed to install it on a second computer, for this such reasoning? I use it for my business, own both computers (as business items), and I am the user of both of them, so theoretically by  this stipulation in the EULA, I should be able to do so.

Thank you everyone for the additional information and link.  I am located in the United States.  Is there additional licensing information that I will need based on my location?  Yes, I will be the sole user for commercial use.  Just to clarify, all the tools inside of Affinity Photo can be used to design my digital art that I will be creating and selling? 

• Staff

Hi CrystalFyre,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, you can install and use it on both computers. As long as you are the only one using the application for commercial purposes on both computers there's no issues.

Hi DDD2019,
No, as long as you are the only one using the program for producing/selling your art/artworks and own the computers you are using to produce it, there's no issues regarding Affinity Photo licensing. Yes, you can obviously use all the program's tools/
functionality to produce your artwork/art. Any third party add-ons (fonts, assets) and applications that integrate with Affinity Photo/use it as a host (Photoshop plugins) are subject to their own terms.

• 2 months later...

I just want to clarify the commercial use. Based on the EULA, it is not clear to me:

I personally own a copy of Designer, Photo, and Publisher. I use these at home for periodic image editing tasks.

At my job (third party employer) I would like to occasionally make icons or tweak images for some internal applications. Is this kind of commercial use permissible under my license, so long as no other employees make use of my Affinity licenses? To be clear, it would be installed on my work laptop; no other employees would use it. Also, I would use it at home only when not using it at work.

Thanks!