You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe Perspective Crop Tool...

I am one of your paying customers...
Everyone… Who shoots a photo, never shoots square (at 90 degrees on all 4 Corners of their photo/when shooting an artists painting)…
LIKE PHOTOSHOP… YOU MUST INCLUDE THE SIMILAR VERSION OF: PHOTOSHOPS,   Perspective Crop Tool
I used to be a beta test sight for Adobe… That tool is a MUST! Even if I have not reached the correct department, This must be addressed and included in order for your app to be a success… You will receive accolades in doing so!

If you do not believe me, Grab a copy of Photoshop, Try the tool:  “Perspective crop tool” and you will finally understand why for every person who shoots freestanding photos of artwork or paintings this is very important !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Cheers!
John

18 minutes ago, haakoo said:

That is not the same thing.

What he is asking for is basically a combination of that tool with a perspective correction tool; in Affinity Photo these are separate tools.

Personally, I prefer making these kinds of corrections in my RAW development software before bringing the pictures into Affinity Photo, and even there I would be using the separate tools for it (as DxO PhotoLab + ViewPoint for example has at least three different perspective correction tools depending on the nature of what you are trying to fix, and I would rather have the added flexibility), but if you are one of those people who use the same program for both tasks, then this would make it marginally faster.

6 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Personally, I prefer making these kinds of corrections in my RAW development software before bringing the pictures into Affinity Photo,

Can you help me understand the benefits of that approach? I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference when one did the perspective correction, or the cropping.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you help me understand the benefits of that approach? I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference when one did the perspective correction, or the cropping.

In terms of doing it in the RAW developer rather than in Photo, I prefer that mostly because I happen to have a more advance perspective correction toolset available using DxO Viewpoint and because Viewpoint is integrated into OpticsPro, so I can do one-stop-shopping, making it more convenient.  It also allows me to do what should be a basic part of the development process earlier within the sequence of programs I am using.  I don't know either that there is a technical benefit to doing it in one tool vs. the other if the tools have equivalent capabilities.

In terms of my preference for separate perspective and crop tools, from what I can tell in the descriptions I have found of the tool (and please correct me if I am missing something), Photoshop is determining the cropped area automatically after fixing the perspective, in order to chop off the "missing" parts of the picture?  Assuming that is the case, if I am not using the entire area that results from having performed the perspective correction, it may be that parts of what get removed could have been left in as I would have been selecting a different portion of the resulting image anyway (which might not even be a rectangular area if I am masking the photo or placing part of it behind something else within a design) - so separating those tasks means I have the flexibility to keep more of the image than I might have been able to with an auto-crop.

If the auto-crop can be disabled in Photoshop, or if it is manually adjustable within the tool, then that reduces this benefit, but it is still only a small gain over using the separate tools.

21 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I get that,

I was referring to the straigthen option to get most done and rotate the child inside the crop area and afterwards crop>rasterise

Straighten is a rotation tool, it is not perspective correction.  As an example of perspective correction, if you point your camera at a framed picture on the wall (to borrow the example used in the OP), but do not have the camera perfectly parallel to the wall, then one side of the frame will appear shorter than the other in your picture.  Straighten can't fix that as it is a perspective issue - in Affinity Photo you would use the perspective warp tool or the perspective filter to correct for that kind of distortion.  In most cases I would opt to use DxO Viewpoint (since I have it) and someone working in Photoshop might choose to use the perspective crop tool being referenced in the original post.  Straighten can only account for rotation along the axis formed by the line from the center of the image sensor to the center of the lens.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

If the auto-crop can be disabled in Photoshop, or if it is manually adjustable within the tool, then that reduces this benefit, but it is still only a small gain over using the separate tools.

Thanks.

I have no idea what is possible in PS; I was more interested in why I might want to crop during the Development rather than after, as there are some things better done earlier rather than later.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

I too like many of the things in Affinity, but I have to go to Photoshop to do perspective cropping. Affinity just doesn't cut it.

I tried haakoo's demonstration on a photo piece I have. I could select the SOURCE. Same as in Photoshop. ... in Photoshop I hit CROP and it's done.

In Affinity, I have to switch to DESTINATION. BUT if I drag to the corners of the original photo as haakoo demonstrates the dimensions of the crop are way out of whack. If I just try to move the corners so everything is squared I can't tell if it is actually squared. The corners aren't clear to being square AND it requires 7 more ADDITIONAL steps to finish ....
   Move corner 1 + move corner 2 (is it square?) + move corner 3 (is it square) + move corner 4 (is it square?) + APPLY + Select CROP + adjust CROP to remove the areas not wanted + CROP .... and I'm still not sure that the final image is actually SQUARED off with 90 degree corners.

PLEASE create a Perspective Crop tool !!!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, AOI Admin said:

Affinity just doesn't cut it.

The perspective tool in Affinity Photo is actually quite a bit more flexible than the perspective crop tool in Photoshop, but it does require a few extra steps.

First, switch to SOURCE mode, then drag the handles to the corners of the object.

Then, switch back to DESTINATION mode, and drag the handles out so they are square.

Rather than yet another tool to do the same thing, I would argue that there are three specific improvements that should be made to the existing Perspective tool (and live perspective filter):

1. Have the tool start in SOURCE mode instead of in DESTINATION mode.  If there is a use case for starting in DESTINATION mode I haven't seen it, but if that is a concern, make this a preference.
  2. Add a "square" button to the Perspective window that automatically squares the DESTINATION corners after the user has set the handle positions in SOURCE mode (and switches to destination mode if not already there).  If the user doesn't like what this does they can manually adjust from there.
  3. Add a "crop" button to crop to the filled area when the user actually wants that.  This should NOT be automatic as I mentioned before - it would be nice to have it as a semi-automated capability sometimes, but there are also plenty of cases where I would not want this.  (There could actually be two variations of this: one to crop the layer but leave the document size unchanged, and one to crop the entire document).

• 6 months later...