You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

System fonts folder to export and test typefaces

The first issue is font cache. Constantly installing and deinstalling fonts with the same name is a huge problem on computers, even with font management software.

Besides that it's the amount of times type designers need to check updates they make to the fonts. I do this about 150 times per hour. I don't know any font management software that can handle that with ease. ;-)  

• 2 weeks later...

The fix is right there, but they need to implement it. If they just make it possible that Affinity reads out the Fonts Folder, the problem is fixed. It works for Adobe as well, so why not do the same? But like I said, this is not in their focus and/or they don't understand the type designers well.

7 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I doubt Affinity could resolve font cache problems. Sounds more like font manager developers should find solution to this.

As I already posted here, Scribus offers the opportunity to connect folders with fonts to it, so that you can use fonts that are not installed on your system for layouting in Scribus. Unfortunately Scribus isn't a verry convenient software for the rest. I think it would be nice if Publisher would also offer this feature. It would be verry convenient to test out fonts without installing.

• 1 year later...

After struggling with workarounds that are made for the type design software (Glyphs 3 in my case), I have to agree that having a designated “Affinity Fonts” folder would be the best solution. Sure, it would be nice, if there were no cache problems on MacOS (but as far as I understand NOT caching fonts would come with performance losses?). 
I love your products, Affinity, and I want to keep using them. It would be awesome if you could do something about this. 

I know the type design community is small, though, so 🥲 😢