You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

Wondering if anyone can help me solve this issue.

Im a new user of Affinity photo but have used Photoshop for some years. After loading in a few images ( Canon Raw CR2 file) i noticed the quality ( sharpness) was markedly reduced from the original even before any editing had taken place, the image appeared soft. After editing and export (PSD bilinear) the image was further degraded. I carried out the same process in Photoshop it was clear to me that the Photoshop export was less effected than that from Affinity. In addition the export file from Affinity was at least twice as large as that from PS. I've attached photos comparing PSD outputs from PS vs( Affinity Screenshot 2) and the untouched image in Faststone image viewer vs Affinity (screenshot 1). These are screen captures from my Dell XPS 4k screen.

In particular view the area around the eyes and hair.

Hope someone can help.

sophie

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Edited by sophied200

I notice that the four images have different magnifications (125%, 175%, 200% and 200%) to get similar size images in the screenshots. You cannot compare images for quality at different magnifications. Given what you said about creating the images, how come they have different sizes?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I notice that the four images have different magnifications (125%, 175%, 200% and 200%) to get similar size images in the screenshots. You cannot compare images for quality at different magnifications. Given what you said about creating the images, how come they have different sizes?

John

Hi John

I've re attached an image with both photos with the same magnification (original vs Affinity)

Screenshot 3.png

First, you need to be aware that Affinity Photo does not, by default, apply any sharpening, whereas most other raw processors do. The preview jpeg image will probably have been sharpened in camera . This  might be the reason for the lack of sharpness you observe in the Affinity image. You can apply your own sharpening in the Develop module or in the main edit.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

First, you need to be aware that Affinity Photo does not, by default, apply any sharpening, whereas most other raw processors do. The preview jpeg image will probably have been sharpened in camera . This  might be the reason for the lack of sharpness you observe in the Affinity image. You can apply your own sharpening in the Develop module or in the main edit.

John

i have all sharpening turned off in camera to avoid performance hits. when seen in lightroom (which i also use ) the image appears to be clear and sharp too, so are you suggesting Photoshop etc will sharpen it for you? 

sophie

21 minutes ago, sophied200 said:

i have all sharpening turned off in camera to avoid performance hits. when seen in lightroom (which i also use ) the image appears to be clear and sharp too, so are you suggesting Photoshop etc will sharpen it for you? 

sophie

I agree with @John Rostron . Plus just because you have sharpening turned off (in the camera) doesn't mean there is no sharpening taking place in the camera, it just means there is no additional sharpening taking place. Camera and Software manufacturers have made decisions based on feedback from customers and they put in place defaults that the majority find pleasing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 hours ago, sophied200 said:

are you suggesting Photoshop etc will sharpen it for you? 

I am suggesting that the raw processor used by Photoshop and Lightroom will probably have applied some default sharpening which the Affinity raw processor will not have done.

John

21 hours ago, sophied200 said:

Change the defaults. By default, Lightroom applies a small sharpening amount of 25 to raw files (but it does not apply this to JPEGs). If you like, you can tailor the defaults to your needs, or turn them off.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I have this same problem, but with vector images.

I open up a new project (in publisher), then place a image (no matter if .png, .jpg, .pdf, .svg) and okay, it looks fine. When I zoom it in, lines are sharp and everything, but then when I switch to photo, image turns blurry.

And now I've tried to export this cover photo for facebook page in .png and it's (drumroll..) blurry. Even though it was sharp in publisher and designer.

There might be some obvious settings that should have changed, and I might have two or more different problems here, but some help would be really great!

I did a quick export from the project. If you zoom it the way it would appear in Facebook on your computer, you'll see that it's way too blurry for publishing

logo_from_svg.png