You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP crashes when resizing + another bug

srg

Two problems.

When I resize at times AP crashes. I have a file I can resize, damn!

Second, when I have a file set for 300DPI and I want to resize and then export in TIFF the file goes back to 96 DPI. This is absurd since if I wan to export, like everybody else I assume, I want to export the file as is but in another format including the DPI.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi @srg.

So that we are able to investigate bugs thoroughly could you please follow this link and update this post with the followings: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

I should have said "I cannot resize".

I will try to be clear.

I have a file with a setting of 300DPI. I crop that file to a different size. The DPI are back to 96. I change to 300 and resize. AP crashes. No request of report comes up.

Furthermore:

I have a file at 300 DPI with a few live lighting modifications in a layer; I crop it: the lights change position. I posted about a similar problem  long time ago and the problem was fixed, now it is back, may be because Catalina?

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 8.51.29 AM.png

8 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'm sorry but this has not added any more info to the issue... No steps to reproduce the issue, no screen recording of workflow, no project file. Unless you give us more info, I'm afraid there's not much we can do. 

Sorry again, I should have said freezes...

in any case I made a little movie which should highlight the problem although in this case, for the first time something strange happened: when I clicked the "force quit" button, AP finished its task instead of quitting as always did! Thus I made a second movie that show the usual freezing problem; the freezing problem happens also with the lanczos 3. It seems to work fine with the "nearest Neighbor."

• Staff

How old is your Mac? Mine "hangs" while doing the resize, but only takes 14-15 seconds. Also, is here any reason why you crop-resample to 96dpi and then resize the document back to 300dpi? Why don't you simply change the DPI value in the crop tool to 300DPI? 

I'm not surprised you get unexpected results with the light adjustment. You're cropping and resampling at the same time, and then you resample the document once more. The pixels in your document change 3 times, so the original values will no longer be valid for the new size. 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

How old is your Mac? Mine "hangs" while doing the resize, but only takes 14-15 seconds. Also, is here any reason why you crop-resample to 96dpi and then resize the document back to 300dpi? Why don't you simply change the DPI value in the crop tool to 300DPI? 

I'm not surprised you get unexpected results with the light adjustment. You're cropping and resampling at the same time, and then you resample the document once more. The pixels in your document change 3 times, so the original values will no longer be valid for the new size. 

Thanks Gabe, I overlooked the DPI in the crop tool. Resampling really takes a very long time. 1527615379_ScreenShot2019-11-25at8_51_29AM.png.043b6c5ad50079397f359cf50e547a3e.png

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I've asked for an actual .afphoto file that's slow when you resize. :)

Thing is to know it is slow I have to resize and when is resized do you still need it?

I have another problem possible related to these problems: after I develop a photo or I focus merge various photos  I get sometimes the resulting photo at 96DPI and other times at 300. This makes a difference since I must resize the one at 96DPI to 300 and this can create resizing problems if the file is already big with various layers.

2 hours ago, srg said:

Thing is to know it is slow I have to resize and when is resized do you still need it?

What you can do is open a file, resize it and if that is slow then close without saving and send that file.

Alternatively you can make a copy of a file and open, resize and if that is slow then send the copy which you didn't resize.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

What you can do is open a file, resize it and if that is slow then close without saving and send that file.

Alternatively you can make a copy of a file and open, resize and if that is slow then send the copy which you didn't resize.

O.o

• Staff

Hello srg,

In order for us to reproduce the issue you are posting about, we require a .afphoto file that we can simply open and carry out the same resize command. If we can reproduce it with your file, we can pass it to the developers. Old Bruce suggested the correct thing—find a file that displays this issue, then once resized, close it and upload it to the link Gabe provided.

The contents of the file may give us a big clue as to why you're experiencing this. It could be due to a combination of live filter layers, adjustments or something else.

We've tried to reproduce it on a number of machines most of which are not as capable as your machine so we should be seeing the same issue, but we are not which again, suggests the file may be at fault. I'd be interested to know if you can reproduce the same issue on a simple pixel layer.

Thanks! :) 

On 11/28/2019 at 3:25 AM, Chris B said:

Hello srg,

In order for us to reproduce the issue you are posting about, we require a .afphoto file that we can simply open and carry out the same resize command. If we can reproduce it with your file, we can pass it to the developers. Old Bruce suggested the correct thing—find a file that displays this issue, then once resized, close it and upload it to the link Gabe provided.

The contents of the file may give us a big clue as to why you're experiencing this. It could be due to a combination of live filter layers, adjustments or something else.

We've tried to reproduce it on a number of machines most of which are not as capable as your machine so we should be seeing the same issue, but we are not which again, suggests the file may be at fault. I'd be interested to know if you can reproduce the same issue on a simple pixel layer.

Thanks! :) 

uploaded an image that seem to take a long, although not the longest, time to resize using Lanczos 3 from 96 to 300DPI.

I tried to have an answer to the following question: while sometimes after raw development or focus merge at times I get a photo at 300DPI and at times, like in the photo I am sending, at 96DPI? Hope to have an answer sooner or later.

• Staff

I've had a look an this is expected with this kind document. Also, resampling with Lanczos is the slowest(but most accurate) method, so taking it quite long is expected. On my Mac it took 43 seconds, but it did not crash or hang. 

On 11/29/2019 at 8:26 PM, srg said:

I tried to have an answer to the following question: while sometimes after raw development or focus merge at times I get a photo at 300DPI and at times, like in the photo I am sending, at 96DPI? Hope to have an answer sooner or later.

DPI is not relevant unless you print the file. If you have a 12MP image (4000 x 3000px), it would have the same number of pixels regardless of the DPI value. You can always change the DPI in the resize dialogue and untick "Resample". I cannot tell why sometimes it's 96 or 300. Sorry. 

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

I've had a look an this is expected with this kind document. Also, resampling with Lanczos is the slowest(but most accurate) method, so taking it quite long is expected. On my Mac it took 43 seconds, but it did not crash or hang. 

DPI is not relevant unless you print the file. If you have a 12MP image (4000 x 3000px), it would have the same number of pixels regardless of the DPI value. You can always change the DPI in the resize dialogue and untick "Resample". I cannot tell why sometimes it's 96 or 300. Sorry. 

Confused... to resample you need to leave  the resample ticked. Scaling is unticked...and in my experience it just does not work as it should.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm the issues with the Lighting filter being out of place after changing the document DPI.

I have a lighting filter on a group of multiple Art Text objects with layer effects (this lighting effect is always missing from PDF exports by the way, but I'm not sure if that's maybe a separate bug). If I change the document DPI in Publisher via the "Document Setup" dialog box, the positions of the Lighting effect, which are apparently resolution dependent, don't seem to be updated.

This also messes up the undo stack – it's not enough to undo the DPI change via history to get the Lighting Effect back to its original position.

The document in question was probably originally created in 1.7.2.

Would be useful, by the way, to be able to directly change the DPI in the export dialog box for raster image formats to be able to render vector elements at higher or lower resolutions than the document was originally set up with. It just allows to set absolute pixel dimensions, but if I have a document that's set up in points or millimeters, that's less useful than a DPI/PPI control. Sending stuff to be professionally printed onto CDs/DVDs, in photo labs, certain sign companies, engraving firms, mug manufacturing companies etc., sometimes necessitates sending designs in the form of rasterized data rather than in vector formats like PDF like a "proper" printing company would accept.

Also guys, if at all possible, please move the compressed file size calculation in that export dialog box out of the UI thread –for very large files (such as exporting a 60 cm x 90 cm poster at 1200 ppi to be printed by a photo lab), the hang caused by that can make changing all the export settings a major pain because every keystroke or click causes a 15 second hang.

System: Affinity Publisher 1.7.3, MacOS 10.11.6, late 2008 Aluminum MacBook upgraded to 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, external Monitor connected via DisplayPort with custom ICC profile Eizo Color Navigator 6/Spyder3.