You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export Initial View options - Publisher feature request

Hi

I had brought this up in a Designer forum, but nothing happened. It matters even more in Publisher, hence this request.

I am being required to submit a PDF for web viewing (iTunes Digital Booklet) that has its Initial View options set for Full Screen.

Although I can set other initial view options (zoom, facing pages etc.) in my third party reader, it seems that the Full Screen option is elusive. I cannot find any freeware app that will set Initial View to Full Screen, and It seems wasteful to buy a full-blown copy of Acrobat just to do that one thing.

Please could you add a full set of Initial View options to the PDF export dialogue. It would be a valuable - and logical - addition to the program.

Thanks,

Alan

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, BugHunterStudios said:

I would also like to request this feature. I want to have an option to have a separate cover page when using two page view.

Have you tried having Facing Pages, starting on the right, with an odd number of pages? That should give you a single right-hand page at the start, followed by 2-page spreads for the rest.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, BugHunterStudios said:

I would also like to request this feature. I want to have an option to have a separate cover page when using two page view.

Assuming you have set up your document as Walt has suggested above and export as pages, then the PDF will display the way you are asking depending on the preferences set in the of the PDF reader. Apple Preview is always this way if two page view is set. This is the relevant setting in Adobe Acrobat: 

1998865745_ScreenShot2020-11-13at8_47_59AM.png.261ebb34f299deaa55cb0cfa02ae4299.png

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I am also having a similar issue and would sincerely appreciate some guidance. 

My document set up: Facing pages, starting on right.

My export: All Pages

Which leaves me with a single page PDF when viewing in a reader. I understand that I can adjust my viewing settings in a reader to 'show cover' while enabling a two page view, however I am trying to find out how I can set this in the document properties so it does this every time the file is opened, regardless of the reader. From my research I need to be able to adjust / set the files initial view settings however I cannot find a way to do this? It looks like I might need Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro or some other third party utility to do this? I cannot find an answer to do this within Affinity Publisher? If anyone has any advice for this desperate self-taught newbie, your help would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Jadlebug said:

I am trying to find out how I can set this in the document properties so it does this every time the file is opened, regardless of the reader.

This is a PDF Reader option, there are dozens of Readers out there. I do not believe that this ability exists for any software that exports PDFs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Jadlebug said:

I understand that I can adjust my viewing settings in a reader to 'show cover' while enabling a two page view, however I am trying to find out how I can set this in the document properties so it does this every time the file is opened,

If you want to force a 2-page view, why not export using the default "All Spreads" rather than switching to "All Pages"?

Personally, I would prefer to use "All Pages" and let the user select the view they want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm not sure that 100% communication is happening here.  Initial View settings are a feature of PDF files.  Simply exporting as spreads rather than pages will not impact the Full Screen option of the PDF Initial View settings.  Have a look at https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/setting-pdfs-presentation.html or https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/set-a-document-to-open-in-full-screen-mode/.

PDF readers also have view settings.  However, the Initial View settings contained within a PDF file are intended to give a reader a clue that its default view settings should be overridden for the particular PDF file.

The Full Screen option is often used in kiosk applications, and it's clear that the OP's client and/or publisher requires the Full Screen option to be set.  Therefore individual user preferences do not apply as the client/publisher is establishing a consistent user experience across documents from many sources.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:34 AM, Jadlebug said:

From my research I need to be able to adjust / set the files initial view settings however I cannot find a way to do this? It looks like I might need Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro or some other third party utility to do this? I cannot find an answer to do this within Affinity Publisher? If anyone has any advice for this desperate self-taught newbie, your help would be greatly appreciated!

You cannot do this in APub.
Easy to do with PDF editors - such as PDF-XChange Editor (no acrobat!)

Or use a free tool which uses Ghostscript to set the initial view options.
gsSetInitialView
Download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gssetinitialview/  
You need to have Ghostscript installed (or just the DLL file available).
Edit the INI file to point to your Ghostscript EXE file and then run.
Mine looked like this after editing the correct line:
GswincExe=C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.55.0\bin\gswin64c.exe
It is a portable app so no installation needed.

Here is a screenshot running on my system:

screenshot.thumb.png.8d76386c5dd4e1e293e89851cc63d435.png

It even has good user manual (included in the ZIP download).