You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nikon Coolscan NEF Greyscale Issues

When attempting to open greyscale NEF photos from a Nikon Coolscan V, affinity splits the photo into 3 images, each taking up approx 1/9 of the full frame of the picture, with the rest blank space. Is there a fix or workaround to this issue? Attached below are the original file (01), what the file should look like, as opened in Photoshop (Proper), and what the file looks like in Affinity (Error).

Error.PNG

Proper.PNG

01.nef

What software were you using to scan the image? I have a CoolScan V an I scan with VueScan or SilverFast and save as tiff. I have never had any of the problems you describe.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Well since the OP said greyscale NEF photos from a Nikon Coolscan V, he probably used Nikon Scan v4.x for these.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

ON1 Photo RAW shows a corrupt image and Rawtherapee doesn't even recognise it as a RAW file, it doesn't show it when looking at a folder.

923458626_ScreenShot2019-11-24at13_33_56.png.1cded5a63f9a1cb9caac3763bc360d48.png

My Photoshop displays: Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file. This might be a corrupted upload.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I recall that NEF files generated by Nikon scanners and their scanner software are slightly different (no Bayer filter informations etc.) from their usual CAM NEF files. Thus they have to be format wise be treated slightly different in code.

However usually Nikon's own software NXView/Capture NX-D/Nikon Scan should still be able to read such NEF files, as far as they aren't corrupted in some way. I also somehow remember, well used that stuff long time ago,  that dcraw and the PS supplied camera raw were quite able to read Nikon scanner generated NEFs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

ExifTool is able to provide information about 01.nef (from above) but Nikon's ViewNXi doesn't seem to recognize it. Nor do darktable or RawTherapee, for what it's worth. Affinity Photo opens it, but improperly (as noted by the OP).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

See the Dave Coffin's dcraw webpage. There especially the scan.c prog below on page (link to C source file), which can read in a Nikon scanner NEF and throws out a TIFF to stdout.

How can I read NEF files from Nikon scanners?
Dcraw only supports cameras. Try this simple program for scanners.
How can I read Nikon Dust Off images (NDF files)?
Use this program.

One would (after compilation) call it like this then from a terminal/console ...

$ ./scan 01.nef > 01.tiff

... and the generated output looks like this as TIFF ...

output.jpg.eb3d0bc64377bf8f84a7dd5c10b91420.jpg