You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Command Click on Title to see Doc Path

Command Click on Title Bar to see Doc Path. Sigh. Works in just about every program known to man. How does Publisher, Photo, Designer NOT do this? Doesn't the basic Mac Dev Kit do this for you? (Just tested Photoshop CS3 with tabbed docs to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Yep. It does it.)

19 hours ago, NCTQ said:

Sigh. Works in just about every program known to man.

Sigh. If you think every person of the group 'known to man' uses a Mac (as you most likely are referring to) you may be very surprised about the number of people who are not part of this group (a.k.a. Windows users) ;-) ... please note, I am writing this with irony in mind, not a personal criticism.

In Windows I can hover the mouse just over the Tab of an open file and see a tooltip that shows the entire path. Is this not available on Mac?

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

In Windows I can hover the mouse just over the Tab of an open file and see a tooltip that shows the entire path. Is this not available on Mac?

Nope  that doesn't happen on Mac.

On most Mac apps, clicking on the title bar (or a tab) will reveal the file in Finder (or give the option to move the file to another location), which is super handy.

In the Affinity range, the File Menu has the option to reveal the file in Finder. This is handy, but not as super handy as being able to click on the title bar, if only because title bar clicking is so common, that it's counterintuitive to go to the file menu.

+1 for Command Click on Title to reveal file in Finder. 

40 minutes ago, big smile said:

In the Affinity range, the File Menu has the option to reveal the file in Finder. This is handy, but not as super handy as being able to click on the title bar,

There are times I only want to see the path to the file (is this file on That HD or The Other HD), using File > Reveal in Finder will open a finder window and I can then get the file path but I would prefer to have both methods available. More is better sometimes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, big smile said:

Nope  that doesn't happen on Mac.

On most Mac apps, clicking on the title bar (or a tab) will reveal the file in Finder (or give the option to move the file to another location), which is super handy.

Thanks for the explanation. Then it's an OS dependent feature and perhaps they will implement it. For me the tooltip is sufficient.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

4 hours ago, dominik said:

Thanks for the explanation. Then it's an OS dependent feature and perhaps they will implement it.

It's odd that Windows gets the OS default of the tool tip, but Mac gets nothing. It's obviously not a big issue or anything, just interesting that it ended up like that.

4 hours ago, dominik said:

For me the tooltip is sufficient.

Out of interest, have you ever been a Mac user? I know lots of Mac users who get very irritated by the tooltip when the switch back to Windows as it's annoying to lose the convenience of being able to go straight to the Finder! 

11 minutes ago, big smile said:

Out of interest, have you ever been a Mac user? 

Basically never (except for typing a text now and then at a friend's computer). It just happened that I started out with Windows and very soon was locked in due to an audio editor of my choice that is not available for Mac. I'm not much a fan of OS wars (and I don't consider your question something in that direction). Both systems (plus Linux, but I'm not very familiar with that, too) have their strengths and their quirks. Both OSs have grown a long way and are quite capable. At least for my needs :)

d.

Just now, dominik said:

Both systems (plus Linux, but I'm not very familiar with that, too) have their strengths and their quirks. Both OSs have grown a long way and are quite capable.

That's very true. These days Win/Mac  are very similar. They have differences, but not enough to make one feel they are missing out if they use one system over another. It's very hard to recommend one over another. Even in the mobile world, iOS and Android have become very similar too. 

For those who are using non-Mac systems, this is what I get with a "normal" Mac program when I click on the title (in recent versions of MacOS):

image.png.c060517354adb495070b9ab38c898f88.png

From there, I can rename the document, add tags to it, move it (using "Where:"), or lock it to prevent changes.

This is what I get when I command+click on the title (and this has been around for a long time):

image.png.5e33d879afdab540d8e437eeb48af4c3.png

Selecting a folder from that menu navigates to that folder in the Finder.

21 minutes ago, fde101 said:

For those who are using non-Mac systems, this is what I get with a "normal" Mac program when I click on the title (in recent versions of MacOS):

image.png.c060517354adb495070b9ab38c898f88.png

From there, I can rename the document, add tags to it, move it (using "Where:"), or lock it to prevent changes.

This is what I get when I command+click on the title (and this has been around for a long time):

image.png.5e33d879afdab540d8e437eeb48af4c3.png

Selecting a folder from that menu navigates to that folder in the Finder.

Thanks for the illustrations. Looks handy.

In Windows my workflow relies very much on a file manager where I do the same. It's just a different way of doing it :)
I admit tags are not common in Windows.

d.