You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF assistance needed, North Bay, San Francisco area.

Hello, Is there anyone in the North Bay using Affinity willing to tutor me for a few lessons to get going? Will pay, can meet at your place, mine or some other location. I live in Santa Rosa. I bought the Affinity book, doing Simon Fraser's course, try and find answers on Youtube videos, including AF tutorials, but every single step is frustrating and complicated. I had used Aperture and use basic stuff: open, crop, color, contrast and exposure, burn and dodge and sharpen. Then save or export. That is what I want to learn, plus the Gradient tool, using soft ND grad filter for bland skies. I have not done Photoshop or Lightroom. I just want simple, basic understanding of the listed tools. I have had postings on Craigslist before and now to get a group together but not a single response, thus this Forum request.

I want a patient teacher, as if instructing an absolute beginner, not a hotshot going fast techie showing off their advanced knowledge.

If there is a method of screen sharing and telephone, that would work for me too. This could be a new niche if it does not exist already.

Thanks, Stuart

Hello. I am a novice when it comes to using Affinity. Unable to get to a training establishment I have resorted to computer tutorials. I looked at the Serif tutorials , and whilst the are very good, they are very technical at an early level. Do this, do that. No explanation as how to use a component in full. There a two things that regulate my search. First for me is cost. Retired Silver Serif has limited access to funds. Limited skill level. I searched on youtube and found quite a few training packages.

I have found one that appeared ok I then went to their website, obtained costings and went from there. 

I noticed that https://courses.affinityrevolution.com/ had a number of courses for Affinity. Mine requirement was for Affinity Publisher. It assumes no knowledge of the programme and is taking me from nothing to something a little better. Very interesting. The courses provided by this company has two elements that are of use to me. Training progression in easy segments, with each segment giving the option of replay or moving back or onward. A plus is the added facility to work offline. I can download and replay the videos to suit myself. Reinforces my learning. 

They also offer contact for support.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ross

Thanks, Ross. I paid for the Affinity Revolution and got my money back. I am now using Simon Fraser's tutorial which is more suited to me. All the Youtube tutorials I have looked at, so I am plugging along. This forum has been very helpful and not yet being called an idiot. I have found no other program for a Mac, so I will be riding this horse. The teaching on the AF tutorials and others are intermediate to expert oriented, and I want a slow explanation of sequence designed for a novice. I still am not up to speed on the most basic stuff and I will continue, but it is very frustrating. AF designed for and by experts and the beginning instructions are too fast and not clearly understanding that those watching have never done it before...

I do think there is a huge market for online screen sharing tutorials. Pay for 30 min or an hour and save lots of wasted time and energy. Wondering why no one is doing that...? Cheers

SF

I agree that many of the tutorials assume knowledge. However I, like you, needed a basic cost conscious package. For £24, I feel that this package suits. I have made a start, but am doing each chapter at least 6 times. Boring I know, but like you I get to practice a lot. I spend most of my time off-line, so the facility given to download is a plus.

Wish you well

Regards

Ross