You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking when there is no mask?

dmstraker

Try the attached. On the face of it, it looks like a simple image with Curves adjustment. But when you play with the Curves it doesn't behave as it should (I've tried it with beta and 1.7 release). For example pulling Curves up to the top left does not result in a whiteout (as happens when the original jpg is used).

History: I'd just been playing with masks via the spare channel. Duplicate, Threshold to create b/w. In Channels, right-click and create spare channel. Then load to curves. Then load from blank channel to remove mask. I've tried repeating this to no avail. The bug however seems captured in the .afphoto. Maybe you can figure it...

before.afphoto

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hi Dave, you've got a blend range set on the Curves adjustment (linear 100% black to 0% white), this is probably what's causing it unless I'm missing something. Resetting the blend range then doing as you described (top left to clip the entire image) behaves as expected. Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials