You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.7.3 EPS export problems - Mac

CJW

I am having difficulty getting the EPS export to work reliably. I want to export the content only and I get intermittent exports that include substantial top and left margins. I am using the selection area option. I had one file that worked fine but after a text edit, flipped to this different scope. A select all confirms that I have no stray points. Is this a known bug?

Hi CJW,

Are you able to attach the AD file in question so we can take a look?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

I can - but the same file that was causing me issues yesterday is working today. I have been using computers since the days of CP/M and this looks like an intermittent fault. Yesterday, I could not get a single afdesigner file to export a selection to EPS (I tried re-boots) and today, they all work.  It shouldn't be a memory problem (6-core mac mini, 32 GB).

When I used Illustrator, you could sometimes get a stray point - Cmd A shows those. My files were clean in that respect. When it pops up again, I will post the file. At present I'm using Photo and Designer files into InDesign. I'm too far into a book to move over to Publisher.

I'm glad you've been able to get things working as they should be (for now). It does sound somewhat strange that the files that weren't working yesterday are now working.

Happy to take a look should you see a reoccurrence of this issue so feel free to post a file if you see the same thing happening again.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Thanks, currently it is stubbornly refusing to go wrong again.  :)

...  apart from confirming the actions I took do not include finger problems, is there anything else I should be capturing, to help with possible diagnostics?

• Staff
1 hour ago, CJW said:

Thanks, currently it is stubbornly refusing to go wrong again.  :)

...  apart from confirming the actions I took do not include finger problems, is there anything else I should be capturing, to help with possible diagnostics?

As I mentioned a screen recording using Capture on the Mac is really helpful in seeing the workflow, but just trying to remember what you were doing previously enough to start forming a step by step recipe is very useful.

Failing that you can also attach a document that has history saved to it (File > Save History With Document) will keep the history of the document in the file save. This can show others what you were doing prior to the issue appearing.

• 1 month later...

I'm suddenly having a similar problem - artboard will not export to eps nor pdf, but will export to jpg and tiff.  

Preview says Postscript error cannot convert to pdf.  Affinity Publisher - the replace image just remains blank.

Tried restarting app, no joy.

Was exporting a files a few hours ago with no problem.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Hi Dennison,

Are you able to attach your file so we can take a look and try to replicate?

Hi Dennison,

Sorry, I was referring to the Affinity Designer file itself so we can try to identify the issue when exporting?

• Staff

Hi Dennison,

Thanks for the file. It is failing to export because the Mitre value on all the objects inside the 'Stray Wires' example have a value of 0.217 which is not allowed. If you select all these objects and set the Mitre to 1 then it will export. 

Was this imported from an Inkscape SVG? Do you have the source SVG at all? Ideally this shouldn't happen at import stage because it is not possible to set a Mitre to less than 1 inside the application.

• Staff

I've just checked Inkscape and found that they don't have a limit on the value of the mitre, so when the SVG is saved it outputs as 0.2 for example. This file would then fail on PDF export. This is being imported at that value, so I'll log with development that any mitre less than 1 should be set to 1 on import.