You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

too easely broken path to linked resources

vonBusing

Hi!

In the Affinity Publisher help it is stated that:

"It's good practice to keep your linked resources in a subfolder within your document's folder. Not only does it keep your images in one place for easier management, but if you move your project to a new location, the links to your resources will always be maintained."

I have all the linked files in a folder that I have together with my APub document, see example screenshot:

922004070_Screenshot2019-11-22at09_24_01.png.9fa50c0503874a2da59699a700128b05.png

However, each time I access my project from another computer (and the root path is, of course, different), the links to the images are broken. This is not what I would expect since the relative path is unchanged, and that situation must be similar to moving your project to a new location, stated in the help it should be possible to do.

The files are on my laptop and I access the files from an iMac connected to the laptop via thunderbolt.

The status for the files in the resource manager is "Access denied". If I replace the missing files with themself again, then status is OK, even after a document reopen on the iMac. Luckily the link connections when opening the document on the laptop are also still OK even after updating them from the iMac. But they reset to "access denied" each time the file is saved again from the laptop.

Am I doing something wrong or is it something that can be fixed?

Edited by vonBusing
further details added

• Staff

Access Denied is displayed when the app doesn't have permission to access the linked files (as you might suspect).

I would expect when you open this file that the app would re-link the files and then you would get a prompt to give authorization for the app. I will look into this and double check that behavior is correct after it re-creates the link.

If you create a new document on the system that you get the "Access Denied" error, insert a few linked images and then close / re-open the document do you get prompted to give Affinity Publisher authorization to access those folders, or global auth? If so doing this may fix the issue for you.

I'll double check this and get back to you, can you let me know what MacOS you are on?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi @Jon P,

I have now tested, as you suggested, to create a new document from the iMac, connected to the laptop via Thunderbold, on the laptop drive. I also included images as linked from the Laptop drive. That worked normally without any access authorisation prompt. Closing and opening that document again does not trigger any warnings, unless I had, in between, opened the file on the laptop, done some changes, and saved again. Then I get this (as with my original working document):

284310351_Screenshot2019-11-24at20_49_02.png.b736198250a376e08bc6ed2385a1a239.png:

From that dialogue, if I select "Resource Manager" I get the list with all resources with status "Access denied". From here, I have to relink each resource individually, even if they are all in the same folder. If, instead, I select "Yes" in the dialogue above, then I am prompted to relink one of the resources, and nothing more. If I open the Resource Manager now, all the resource links appears as OK. Not sure why we have this difference here, but currently, the "Resource Manager" button in that dialogue is more a kind of trap than of any help.

Also the action to "locate" a resource is slightly ambiguous. From this dialogue "locate" is to find the source file on your drive, while "locate" in the Resource Manager is to find where the file is used in the document, only. In the Resource Manager, one may want to do both.

Both iMac and MBP are running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and HFS+ file system.

Thanks,

/Miro

• 4 months later...

Windows 10 Home Edition build 2004 Windows Insider Pre-Release Version on a Acer Predator Laptop 16Gb RAM GTX1060 (2018) ... Same issue happening when working with Intranet of a Remote Host. Affinity is having issues linking files. The suggested method is not a good practice is some instances, I cannot have a copy of all the images when used in different projects. Our graphics occupy almost 14 Tb in our network, imagine if we start copying the same images over and over again for multiple different projects.

Now, there's also a couple more situations from my side.

1. I have a file where I save renderings of files per brands and subcategories of the brand, when I get the error mentioned here I go to the Resource Manager and link the images back, this is a small project so it only have about 120 images and some of them are used multiple times in different pages. When I link an image I expect the Resource Manager to recognize when another missing image is in the same directory to also relink that file, but it doesn't.
  2. When the file loaded with the error all missing images show as pixelated previews in the screen. After updating all missing images one by one, the images relinked do not refresh to Hi-Res preview. What I mean is, once I go through the trouble of relinking each image, then I also have to close the application and open it again for it to show Hi-Res illustrations again, not a placeholder preview. If I don't do this when exporting the documents as a PDF all relinked images will look terribly pixelated.
Edited by Raphie
Bad Grammar, fixed some for clarity

9 minutes ago, Raphie said:

Windows 10 Home Edition build 2004 Windows Insider Pre-Release Version on a Acer Predator Laptop 16Gb RAM GTX1060 (2018) ... Same issue happening when working with Intranet of a Remote Host. Affinity is having issues linking files. The suggested method is not a good practice is some instances, I cannot have a copy of all the images when used in different projects. Our graphics occupy almost 14 Tb in our network, imagine if we start copying the same images over and over again for multiple different projects.

If you can make sure that the path name to the images out in your network is the same for everyone using a .afpub file, I think you'll be OK. But that will mean that you all need to use the server name, or all use the server IP address. You can't have some users referring to the server by IP address and some referring to it by name. Logically, it would be better to use the server name, as that is less likely to change (in my experience).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But that will mean that you all need to use the server name, or all use the server IP address.

You are correct, my recommended suggestion is the IP address. Since the unprecedented lockdown caused by the current pandemic (year 2020) we had to deal with multiple users that has mapped their network based on their personal devices, where some drive mapping conflicted with the mapping of the drives in-office. Because of this we found it is better to use the IP addresses for the machines.

The reason for this is that our IT department uses a system called Hamachi from LogMeIn to connect the drives of the network to those "personal computers" and Hamachi, even though it does a great job in some cases do not populate all the drives per server name. So to avoid issues the marketing department decided to better use the IP of the network drive. Of course, this is just a suggestion that might help any other users which might encounter similar situation.

Now for the second part, the issues I found is also caused by Hamachi. Since the connection depends on the user Internet Connection, which is not under our control, if the connection get a sudden short interruption, some of the images in a currently opened documents shows the pixelate preview as mention. One suggestion I think might help is to add a refresh tool in the Resource Manager UI, this way, when the connection issue is resolved, one simply just refresh all images insuring they are properly linked by pressing that button.

Edited by Raphie
better use of words and grammar issues

50 minutes ago, Raphie said:

Now for the second part, the issues I found is also caused by Hamachi. Since the connection depends on the user Internet Connection, which is not under our control, if the connection get a sudden short interruption, some of the images in a currently opened documents shows the pixelate preview as mention. One suggestion I think might help is to add a refresh tool in the Resource Manager UI, this way, when the connection issue is resolved, one simply just refresh all images insuring they are properly linked by pressing that button.

Sounds like something reasonable to post as a Feature Request in Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1