You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance issues

Despite having a reasonable beefy computer (some i7 CPU with 8 cores, 16G of RAM and an AMD Vega 64), Designer is lagging terrible when moving stuff around, creating new vector shapes or reordering things. I recorded a little video to depict my problem:

I'm not sure what could go wrong, there is no other applications or background tasks running and the CPU as well as the graphics card are a bit bored (see the CPU load graph in the video).

I wonder what might cause this, how I can work around it and if I can't, what component might be responsible/needs an upgrade to get rid of this. I tried resetting everything to stock settings already and double checked that Designer is using the right graphics device in the settings, however, no success. :(

(I'm on Windows 7, fully updated OS and drivers)

• 3 weeks later...

The graphics drivers are up to date, that should not be a problem.

I did some more testing on this. I observed, that the issues come up after some time, and are usually not present right after start. Could it be related to some garbage collection thing? Or maybe I keep too many undo steps?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe a short follow up to this. I changed my OS to Windows 10 (full reinstall, not upgrade). I installed Designer and the latest graphics drivers, the issue persists:

I can work smoothly but after a while (not sure about the exact time here, I'd say in the order of an hour), everything starts to stutter.

I tried to record this with my phone to not interfere with the performance (split on two videos for reasons of size and handling):

- In the 1st video, I had a document open, I worked on it for a bit and it started to stutter. I then closed the "big" document, made a new one and moved a single rectangle around. As you can see, it's stuttering and far from smooth.

- In the 2nd video right after, I closed the program as a whole and reopened it with a new empty doc. I did the same test, moving a single rectangle around. It's much much smoother.

Any ideas?