You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Grouping objects moves objects grouped

Odd.
It would be useful, at the very least, to see what was going on with the Layers Panel when this happens.
Even better than that would be to have a copy of the document to experiment with.
If you can’t supply the document then a full-screen-cast of the problem should give us a reasonable idea of what’s happening.

P.S. Is there any reason why you haven’t upgraded to 1.7.3?

There is some mismatch among your layers (hidden group etc.) ...

layers.jpg.db159b798d25f264d49edaef4270ec47.jpg

... however if you single select the layers of interest (one after the other cmd-click) in the layers panel and perform a grouping it should usually work.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

v_kyr, thanks for your help and the time you've spend on this issue. 

With your assessment, I played around with the file I posted in order to reproduce  and understand your suggestions.

Part of the artwork was imported from a 3rd party app (Image Vectorizer) that creates vector outline traces from pixel artwork, and saved the file as an .eps.  When the .eps file was imported in AD, the individual elements come in as children of a parent layer...in this case it's named "Layer 1 (Layer)".  I believe this parent layer is either corrupt or at least not up to the AD standards.  Creating a new parent and moving all the children into it solves the problem.  It now groups just fine.

I played with other output file types from Image Vectorizer (.pdf and .svg) with no issues...it just seems to be with .eps file types, and only with some of the files I traced.

Just so you all know, I think Image Vecorizer is still an incredible tracing app...the best I've used in my 30+ years doing this stuff. 

We all need to work through the idiosyncrasies each little app brings to the table.

37 minutes ago, merry said:

...I played with other output file types from Image Vectorizer (.pdf and .svg) with no issues...it just seems to be with .eps file types, and only with some of the files I traced...

I assume you mean that on potrace based MacOS app one here "Image Vectorizer" (?) and thus not this online vectorizer of the same name. Since it's potrace based it's Ok, though AFAIK it doesn't perform color and centerline tracing. EPS import is not one of Affinity's strengths, thus PDF or SVG might be sometimes better suited.

There are some more tracing/vectorize apps available for MacOS, partly with different features and most also capable of color tracing. Some examples of good ones are ...

Vector output formats do vary partly, but PDF and SVG is supported mostly by all and will make less problems.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2