You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have drawn some black lines, on a separate layer, but have now decided the lines need to be a different color. They took me quite awhile to get exactly how I wanted them, so I really don't want to try to redraw them; especially since I would like to have two versions of the lines, and that would require redrawing them absolutely perfectly(not possible for me) twice. I need to retain the feathering, so the flood fill won't work, since it makes them look thicker and chunky. I followed the instructions for the Color Replacement brush, but the only color that is changing is the very lightest of the feathered pixels along the edge of the line, but even they are not changing to the correct color, but a somewhat grayish hue of the replacement color I chose. 

I did see another discussion, when I searched the Color Replacement brush, about the color not changing correctly. That person finally resolved his problem by using "Protect Alpha", but I can't find "Protect Alpha" in my program. I did try changing the color using an adjustment layer and recoloring it, but I can't get the color I want.

I would use a Recolour Adjustment Layer nested into your lines layer. It leaves the lines untouched and let you change the colour repeatedly. You may have to increase the lightness a bit.

Adjustment turned off:

1814829542_Screenshot2019-11-21at00_25_25.thumb.png.725c5bc4601978d2e031f922e611ff1a.png

Adjustment turned on:

2045988210_Screenshot2019-11-21at00_25_03.thumb.png.6fd4870c6764b56e6a6986b8a8e27251.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

I tried that but wasn't able to get the exact color I wanted. Then I read that the color replacement brush doesn't work on Black or white, So I tried that again, and couldn't get it to work, even though it had worked earlier. 

I might just have to keep playing with the Recolor adjustment layer until I'm close enough to be happy.

10 minutes ago, Victoria Lasher said:

I might just have to keep playing with the Recolor adjustment layer until I'm close enough to be happy.

Try using the recolor adjustment and then merge it. Then you have strokes that aren't black, and you can use the Color Replacement Brush.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, Victoria Lasher said:

It might be worth experimenting with the different blend modes in the Recolour Adjustment.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

If I understand this correctly, you have a pixel layer with several black lines, probably created with the Brush tool with various brushes, hardness settings, etc. so they are not solid sharp edged lines. You want to have more than one version of this layer, with identical brush strokes except for their color.

If I have that right, try this:

1. Duplicate the layer.
  2. Select the Paint Brush Tool & a large hard edged brush like maybe the round 128 px one from the Basic set. Any similar brush will do as long as it is 100% hard, 100% opaque, etc.
  3. Set the brush color to whatever you want & tick the "Protect Alpha" checkbox in the context toolbar. (See note below if this checkbox is not visible.)
  4. Select the topmost duplicate layer & paint over the lines.
  5. With Protect Alpha enabled, the brush should change only the color of the lines without affecting anything else. 

Note: since Protect Alpha is the rightmost item on the context toolbar, if your workspace window is not wide enough to show it, you can click on the icon to pop up a submenu with that item on it.

358136638_protextalphacheckbox.jpg.21b4bfa24188a6b83b898abd6bc978b5.jpg

EDIT: added recoloring brush strokes example.afphoto with History included so you can move the History slider back & forth to see the steps I used.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There is a quick & easy way to change the black lines to any colour you need. You can add a shape under the lines and colour it how you like then nest it under your lines layer, drag it over the lines layer to the right of the thumbnail and release when the long horizontal highlight shows. You can also use the pen tool to roughly draw the area you want coloured, then fill this shape with a solid colour or a gradient, then nest under the lines, the shapes remain editable so you can change the colours as needed.  You can also add another pixel layer, paint whatever colour or pattern you need then nest this to the black line layer. 

Recolour Black Lines.png

21 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

@Murfee the op is using photo, and afaik you can only create vector brushes in designer.

Did Murfee say anything that impled the use of vector brushes? If so, I didn't recognize it, and the technique that Murfee described works perfectly well with pixel brushes in Photo.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did Murfee say anything that impled the use of vector brushes? If so, I didn't recognize it, and the technique that Murfee described works perfectly well with pixel brushes in Photo.

The screenshot shows 2 curves

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

1 minute ago, dutchshader said:

Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

but what i did not see, was that het top layer is a pixel layer:$. need more coffee...….

Razer Tartarus Chroma

5 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

But curves can be created with the Pen Tool in either app, & by using stroke pressure curves & stroke gradients could look like those shown in the Layers panel ... right? :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But curves can be created with the Pen Tool in either app, & by using stroke pressure curves & stroke gradients could look like those shown in the Layers panel ... right? :S

Yes right, making coffee right now

Razer Tartarus Chroma

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

I've recreated what Murphy did in Photo, so yes it's defnitely possible.

Yes i know, after the coffee going to visit specsavers

Razer Tartarus Chroma

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2019 at 5:14 AM, R C-R said:

If I understand this correctly, you have a pixel layer with several black lines, probably created with the Brush tool with various brushes, hardness settings, etc. so they are not solid sharp edged lines. You want to have more than one version of this layer, with identical brush strokes except for their color.

If I have that right, try this:

1. Duplicate the layer.
  2. Select the Paint Brush Tool & a large hard edged brush like maybe the round 128 px one from the Basic set. Any similar brush will do as long as it is 100% hard, 100% opaque, etc.
  3. Set the brush color to whatever you want & tick the "Protect Alpha" checkbox in the context toolbar. (See note below if this checkbox is not visible.)
  4. Select the topmost duplicate layer & paint over the lines.
  5. With Protect Alpha enabled, the brush should change only the color of the lines without affecting anything else. 

Note: since Protect Alpha is the rightmost item on the context toolbar, if your workspace window is not wide enough to show it, you can click on the icon to pop up a submenu with that item on it.

358136638_protextalphacheckbox.jpg.21b4bfa24188a6b83b898abd6bc978b5.jpg

EDIT: added recoloring brush strokes example.afphoto with History included so you can move the History slider back & forth to see the steps I used.

Thank you! I will have to try this, I had a deadline and ended up tracing over my original lines with the color I needed. Part of my problem was not finding items that others were mentioning, such as "protect Alpha". Your instructions on that will come in handy.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I hope someone can help with this related question:

I'm trying to use the color replacement tool to replace an object that is primarily black.  It appears that this tool seems to only replace colors that are not shades of black or white.  How can I get it to select the black on the object I wish to alter?