You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text being screened on a Laser Printer.

I had not noticed this before but under a Loupe I saw that my 100% black text was being screened (Halftoned) in Publisher, Photo and Designer. BTW, I can see this in Photoshop as well so I'm not blaming Affinity totally! The images attached were printed from Publisher to a Brother color laser printer. The color was CMYK printing the text at 100% Black. I have checked everything in publisher (photo and Designer) and everything is set correct. Just to cut through the chase I work in the printing industry and have for many years so this caught me by surprised. I can export the document as a PDF and when printed on the same printer the text prints solid not screened.

Any ideas on this or is anyone else experiencing this??

Thanks

Jim K

Glad_10003.jpg

Glad_10004.jpg

Looks like a job for FFT Denoise.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-20-at-22-04-44.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks MikeW and FirstDefense. Actually I would have exported to PDF (as I usually do when uploading work to our PrePress; however, in this case the sheet size was 4.75 x 7.5 and being printed on a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. Unfortunately would not allow me to put crop marks, etc., so when I printed I didn't get that.

Thanks again!!

JimK

Don’t you think that sending CMYK data directly to a home printer will result in a data conversion to RGB and back to CMYK? I am under the impression that the drivers of home printers generally use an RGB model.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/why-do-some-printers-print-rgb-and-some-cmyk-if-all-printers-are-cmyk/td-p/10411460

33 minutes ago, skyking said:

Thanks MikeW and FirstDefense. Actually I would have exported to PDF (as I usually do when uploading work to our PrePress; however, in this case the sheet size was 4.75 x 7.5 and being printed on a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. Unfortunately would not allow me to put crop marks, etc., so when I printed I didn't get that.

Thanks again!!

JimK

What wouldn't allow printer's marks? I'm assuming your sheet size is your page and/or artboard and is set to the 4.75 x 7.5? If so, export your pdf with whatever printer's marks you want.

Lagarto - great info. I know any file I create, for example, an Indigo it has to be in CMYK not RGB. If I pirnt from Publisher to my brother printer I get text screening. If I pirnt from InDesign I don’t get text screening. Based on your comments, I’m going to recheck my prefs and icc profiles.

Jim K

On 11/20/2019 at 10:45 PM, skyking said:

Any ideas on this or is anyone else experiencing this??

I did had the same problem and solved it:

In the Document Setup of Affinity Publisher  -> Colour the Colour Format was on CMYK/8 and the Colour Profile was (the default) W.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2.

When I switched this to Grey/16 and Black& White the print was good. I could not imagine that it would be a problem so far, it doesn't matter in InDesign.

Thanks to all for all the investigative work. I'll be messing more based on some of the tilts all have provided. I indicated in an earlier pay usually when sending files too PrePress we send as a PDF gone are the days off sending folders with everything - at least in most cases. It just bugged me that when printing from InDesign text was printed solid but with publisher it was screen. I'll post some of my results. 

Jim K

As a Final - Here is what I discovered. I had assigned a icc profile for "sheetfed uncoated". I went into document set up and assigned a profile  of "Generic CMYK". When I printed text was solid - no screening. I suspect when printing "Sheetfed uncoated" the program assumes you are sending off to a RIP which will do some conversions. When I create a PDF I always do NOT include any profile and the printer (via prepress) will assign their own press or digital profile. This solves a problem!!

Thanks again for everyones input. This was a very good discussion.

Jim K