You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with changing colour of an object in hands with water running on it

• Staff

Hi xlrzwtvq,

Welcome to the forums :)

This can be done using a masked HSL adjustment layer. First used your preferred method to select the case (I used the Selection Brush), then with this selection active add a HSL adjustment layer, this will create the adjustment with a mask applied, such that it only affects the selected area. Now in the HSL adjustment dialog select the 'Red' icon and then change the Luminosity to -100. I've attached a quick screen recording of this below, I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you for you help, Dan. For my better understanding, can you please explain the reason to select 'Red' in the HSL Adjustment dialogue? And what can I do to work on the edges of the picture that are still red? And the reddish effect on the hands because of the red case?

• Staff

No problem at all!

10 minutes ago, xlrzwtvq said:

can you please explain the reason to select 'Red' in the HSL Adjustment dialogue?

If you don't select the Red colour before changing the Luminosity values then you're editing the full colour spectrum and reducing the luminosity of all colours will remove any details from the image and you will find the object is replaced entirely in black, as below -

cf35c736d5b9a8de5db724ef0cef9fd3.gif

15 minutes ago, xlrzwtvq said:

And what can I do to work on the edges of the picture that are still red?

My selection was created quickly, if you create a more precise selection and then Refine this selection you will find much better results.

15 minutes ago, xlrzwtvq said:

And the reddish effect on the hands because of the red case?

This is a little tricker - you could use a HSL adjustment (without a mask applied) and reduce the Saturation and Luminosity of all tones in your image, perhaps by 10%-20% each. Then create a selection of the fingers and equip the Sponge Tool. With this tool equipped you can set the Context Toolbar settings to Desaturate & HSL Saturation and lower the opacity to around 15%. Now when using this tool you should find it reduces the red-ish tones in the fingers :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

I tried 'Refine' using the following video and it worked like magic. Thanks. Awaiting a response for the reddish effect on hands.

Also, thank you for explaining the reason for selecting 'Red' in the HSL Adjustment dialogue.

Edited by xlrzwtvq

A simple selection, a bit of feathering and a black and white adjustment layer.
Screen-Shot-2019-11-20-at-18-31-37.png

Don't forget to tone down the red cast on the hands.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, xlrzwtvq said:

Hi firstdefence, is it possible for you to show it via a video to tone down the red cast on the hands?

Thanks for your help.

Using the Paint Brush and a soft brush like the setting below, paint on the black and white adjustment layer with white. It's basically a soft desaturation of the red on the hand, if you do it enough the hand will turn greyscale.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-20-at-21-18-45.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff
On 11/20/2019 at 5:31 PM, Dan C said:

This is a little tricker - you could use a HSL adjustment (without a mask applied) and reduce the Saturation and Luminosity of all tones in your image, perhaps by 10%-20% each. Then create a selection of the fingers and equip the Sponge Tool. With this tool equipped you can set the Context Toolbar settings to Desaturate & HSL Saturation and lower the opacity to around 15%. Now when using this tool you should find it reduces the red-ish tones in the fingers :) 

I've attached a quick screen recording of this method below -