You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Erasing a shadow effect from an image

A screenshot would help us understand what you're asking about.

A couple of thoughts, though they're really guesses without having more information from you:

1. Do you have the "fill knocks out shadow" option enabled in the effects dialog?

2. If you duplicate the layer you're applying the shadow to, perhaps you can madk that layer to isolate the shadow to the area you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt  ...hope you're well? & thanks for the reply :)

Firstly yes the fill knocks out shadow" box is ticked!

Image A has the outer shadow effect applied but i only wanted it on the floor as in image B
I just duplicated the image but with the shadow only on 1 of them & then erased the bit i didn't need ...which is ok!

I just wondered if there was a way to separate/unlock the shadow effect from the image so that i could erase only the shadow.

In CorelDraw there was a "Break shadow apart" button

Image A.jpg

Image B.jpg

Things are well here, Pete; hope they are with you, too.

In Affinity Photo (or in the Pixel Persona of Affinity Designer) you could make a pixel selection encompassing the edges that you want to have the shadow, then duplicate it (Cmd/Ctrl+J) to a new layer, then apply the effect to that new layer. You'll have to play with the radius and offset to get it to just have the shadow on the floor, and not overlaying part of the underlying image.

But it might be easier than erasing parts of the shadow manually.

(Now that I'm back at the computer, and able to play with it, I can't get my masking idea to work as I thought it would.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1