You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML: Unencoded Glyphs Not Handled Properly

Lovely. My test documents are working. :)

However, I still see an issue with unencoded glyphs in certain fonts. I believe it has to do with unencoded glyphs that are written into the XML code of the IDML file according to the scheme 

• g###

where ### is the glyph index in the font file. For instance, this is the XML code of a story inside an IDML document that was exported from Indesign CS 5.5 using some unencoded glyphs from Calibri:

Calibri.png.c9f6af062bd1457c9a1bddbb680d73a9.png

Calibri-Test.idml

I highlighted the relevant parts. When you open Calibri in DTL OpenType Master, you can see that these glyphs have no “post” name assigned:

No-Post-Name.thumb.png.c5c1604add845ee336466d8079f0a911.png

Hence it seems that g### is the way in which IDML handles glyphs without a Unicode code point and without a “post” name. At least, this is my hypothesis, since unencoded glyphs with a “post” name seem to be addressed by this name in the XML code of an IDML file. But the g### glyphs are obviously identified just by their glyph index in the font file. Indesign can read back the IDML file correctly:

Indesign.png.eafd99c51847f77dd032f9c7fe319274.png

Publisher cannot:

Publisher.png.5d6cd65f15411b472fdadc300e1432c5.png

Please have a look at the particular XML syntax highlighted in my screenshot above. A solution to the g### problem would be great, since many standard Microsoft fonts, such as Cambria Math etc., present the same issue.

Thank you, Alex :)

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (IDML - importing unencoded glyphs) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (IDML - importing unencoded glyphs) of the program in the latest customer beta.

Yes, I believe all problems described in this thread are solved now. Thank you again. There are a few others, but I created new threads for these. And these were already reported to the development team by @Gabe … :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.